Bernina 440QE

I am thinking about selling my Bernina 440QE so that I can instead buy 2 sewing machines. One to have set up for daily use and one to use for taking to quilting classes/sewing days, etc. I have a 440QE that I bought 3 years ago because I wanted the the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) for freee motion quilting. I used it on 4 quits and then decided to buy a long arm macihine. So now I know that I will never use the BSR again and so I am thinking about selling the 440QE to be able to use the money towards 2 Bernina sewing machines that are lesser value machine (perhaps Used ones). The 440QE has many stitches and 3 alphabets and I have never used any of it. I bought the sewing machine specifically for the BSR. I did not buy the embroidery module with it as that part did not interest me. However, it can be added. Has anyone bought a new Bernina 440QE recently (without the embroidery module)? How much did you pay? Bernina makes a 500 series now and discontinued making the 400 series and I know the 500 series are quite a bit of $. I'm just trying to figure out what my 3 yr. old 440QE is worth so I can decide if I should sell it or just keep it (even though it has many features I do not use). I simply use the straight stitch and the zig zag stitch, so that is why I'm thinking I could just buy a machine with less features. If I decide to sell it, I will have to sell it straight out because even though I want to buy Bernina sewing machines, I will not be able to trade it in for a new one since I am not upgrading--I am actually downgrading to try to be able to get 2 machines for myself.

Audrey

There is a group on Yahoo called Sew Its For Sale. Ladies there are selling their BSR feet all the time in the neighborhood of $350 to $400. If you could sell the BSR and buy your second machine with the money you make off it and still keep the 440QE, maybe that would be ideal for you?

I would worry about losing too much money on your 440QE to make it worth your while if you want to get two good machines out of it. I vote for keeping the 440 and selling the BSR if you can!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SewItsForSale/

That's a good idea to sell the BSR alone--but it will only connect to a Bernina machine that is equipped for tah to plug in--and I would think the people who bought those machines would have the BSR because it comes with those machines (It was not an optional item to buy to add onto it). A Bernina Dealer todl me today that the BSR costs $900. Thanks for the info about the Yahoo group. I hadn't heard about that one. I will have to join that one.

Originally posted by Bonnie H

There is a group on Yahoo called Sew Its For Sale. Ladies there are selling their BSR feet all the time in the neighborhood of $350 to $400. If you could sell the BSR and buy your second machine with the money you make off it and still keep the 440QE, maybe that would be ideal for you?

I would worry about losing too much money on your 440QE to make it worth your while if you want to get two good machines out of it. I vote for keeping the 440 and selling the BSR if you can!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SewItsForSale/

what? $350-400 for the BSR foot? and i could still keep rory for piecing?

thanks bonnie - i'm putting this thread into my favs and doing it.

;)

Originally posted by aborning

That's a good idea to sell the BSR alone--but it will only connect to a Bernina machine that is equipped for tah to plug in--and I would think the people who bought those machines would have the BSR because it comes with those machines (It was not an optional item to buy to add onto it). A Bernina Dealer todl me today that the BSR costs $900. Thanks for the info about the Yahoo group. I hadn't heard about that one. I will have to join that one.

Not all the Bernina 440's came with a BSR. The 440QE is the Quilter's Edition and it did come with one though. There are many models that your 440's BSR fits, i.e., it fits the 630, 640, and 430 models that I know of and perhaps others. I would leave that up to the buyer to check into before buying, or perhaps you could ask your Bernina dealer.

My 630 was the Platinum Edition and it came with a BSR. I'm not sure if the regular 630 model did or not.

Originally posted by meg

what? $350-400 for the BSR foot? and i could still keep rory for piecing?

thanks bonnie - i'm putting this thread into my favs and doing it.

;)

I don't blame you for wanting to keep your 440, Meg. It's a fabulous machine. I would hate to give up my 630. I traded my 440QE in and got a 630 at an excellent deal, actually I paid less for both machines together than I would have for just the 440QE! I love the ease of the 630 for using the embroidery unit but loved the 440's push buttons. Luckily my 630 stitches just as well as the 440 did.

Good luck to you on selling your BSR. I have a feeling sewitsforsale is going to have a few BSRs listed in a while! I've been thinking of selling mine for years and just haven't done it yet. But then I think of all the thread I could buy and I think about changing my mind. LOL I hope aboring checks into selling hers and keeping her machine!

Bonnie is correct...the BSR fits several other machines that are sold without the BSR as part of the package. The BSR not only fits the 430, 440, 450, 630, 640, 730, 200 (which are now considered "older" models) but that same BSR fits the "new generation" machines:)

I, too, would consider parting with my BSR but not with my 430 (unless it was to get a "new generation" machine.)

Audrey, I sold my 440QE last year for the same reason you have. After buying my long arm I realized I won't be quilting on the Bernina anymore. I did not want to buy another Bernina, so I sold it to a friend. I'm very happy with my decision. It is a lot of money to tie up in a machine that isn't being utilized to it's fullest.

Be cautious with the interchangeability of the BSR. Before I sold it, I took mine to a class where I rented the 440, and it was not compatible. I was told there was an upgrade at some point to the BSR, must have been 3 or 4 years ago. Older BSR's may not work on newer machines.

Debi, I have no experience with the 730 series but wanted to say to check out how the different machines sew with the different feed dogs, the 5.5 mm feed dogs and the 9 mm feed dogs. That was the deciding factor for me in purchasing the 5.5 mm 630 over the 640. I like to piece with the feed dogs that are closer together. I am not sure which feed dogs are offered on the 730 series but I am thinking it is a 9 mm series??

Originally posted by anniemueller

Audrey, I sold my 440QE last year for the same reason you have. After buying my long arm I realized I won't be quilting on the Bernina anymore. I did not want to buy another Bernina, so I sold it to a friend. I'm very happy with my decision. It is a lot of money to tie up in a machine that isn't being utilized to it's fullest.

Be cautious with the interchangeability of the BSR. Before I sold it, I took mine to a class where I rented the 440, and it was not compatible. I was told there was an upgrade at some point to the BSR, must have been 3 or 4 years ago. Older BSR's may not work on newer machines.

Annie,

Thanks for the advice. I have spent some time today calling some Bernina Dealers and getting some prices on the Activa 215 and the Activa 330. I am going to go to one of the Dealers and look at them both to compare because I feel like either one of these will fit my needs. I have pretty much decided to sell my Aurora 440 QE because I just feel like I could sell it and buy a couple "used" machines that will serve my purposes well. I do not use any of the fancy stitches. I don't even have much time to do any quilt piecing since I work full time and do long arm quilting for customers. I recently bought an Activa 140 on ebay and I actually like how it sews--for piecing --just as well as my 440. But I already know I will sell the 140, too, because it does not have Needle UP/Needle Down on it (and I thought it did when I bought it) and I am so used to using that option in the Needle Down position that I really miss that option--so I will probably sell it. Thus--part of my reasoning for selling my 440 and just getting 2 lesser machines. I don't necessarily need them to be new machines--because I know there are lots of sewing machines that get bought and hardly used. I know from experience because I bought a 230 and traded it in 4 months later when I bought the 440 because I wanted the BSR.

I purchased a gently used 430 from my Bernina dealer in Jan. came with a one yr warranty and Bernina Club. I did not purchasce the embroidery attachment or the BSR and paid $1700. Fiananced for one yr. same as cash. So far I am very please with my purchase.

One of my guild friends uses her 440 as her main machine and travel machine. I picked one up and it doesn't seem that heavy. I bought a used bernina 135pe from someone on this board:) and am really happy. I was contemplating buying a new 350 but I decided if I were to spend even that much money I'd want the 440 instead. Good luck with everything. I'm sure you will find someone to buy it. I posted over on another board that I've seen them sold from 1875-2100 dollars.

Archived