Part of one block for the Baltimore Album Quilt

I'm useing the Baltimore Beauties and Beyond ( I &II) books by Elly Sienkiewicz. I like her primative art style and wanted the whole quilt to be consistent in approach.

Most of this block was done with the Inktense pencils activated with a Textile Medium ( I'm useing a couple of different ones). Then after they are dry I do heat set them. Sometimes I like a little "glitz" in the mix so I'm useing some liquid acrylic inks and some metalics too. I did discover that those paints do better if you overlay them with the textile medium after they are dry and before heat setting. It acts as an abbrasion barrier and keeps the glittery stuff secure. The acrylic inks are sorta thin and don't have the same adheasion power as the paints.

I just finished teaching my second class at a local libaray on Fabric Painting. It's fun, I hope my students will develope a love for this tech. I sure have.

Kay thank you for all the help and information. I really appreciate it. I am no artist, but have been watching some of Sherry's videos on her technique.

Talking about Glitz have you seen Sherry Rogers polished pigments, she was using them on dried Inktense to add some shading and a little shimmer. Looked lovely.

Kay, how far from Carlsbad is Cibolo, and where is it, I really like that and may just have to find a way to come take a class. I am going to take one at HMQS on Tsuneikeko (sp) sounded like fun. I used to Tri-chem, but no one around here has it. I will be looking for your finished quilt!

Guest Linda S

I took Sherry's "Color it Done" class at MQX and we used the Inktense pencils, the Polished Pigments, and some pens. We had a blast combining, shading, playing with everything. I have the large class sample and all the colors sitting on my kitchen table right now and am trying to decide which color to put where. I bought 24 of the pigments, some plain fabric medium, fabric medium with silver, fabric medium with gold, and I already and a set of 36 Inktense pencils here at home. Now if I could just stop coughing long enough to color! I got sick on the way home from MQX and I'm still trying to recover. Paints and pigments certainly do open up a whole new door in quilting!

Beverly, Cibolo is about 23 miles East of San Antonio, TX on I 35. The class I've been teaching is a free one at the public libaray in Schertz (about 2 miles away). The San Antonio area is a blast to visit!But if you come to visit, I'll give you a personal tutorial.

Linda, I hope you feel better soon. It helps to keep the mind and hands occupied, works for me anyway.

Kay

Archived