Diagonal seams on borders

Is it just me - or does anyone else have problems with diagonal seams on borders? Seems to me, that if the border is going to "wave" - that's where it'll happen. I have a huge quilt (103 x 118) on the frame right now, and just had to phone the customer to talk about putting a pleat in the border - both sides, right at that diagonal seam (bias). Any suggestions? or is this something that is common. Personally, I never use a diagonal seam in my own quilts - If I have to piece the border, it's always a straight seam. :(

I also use straight seams. I personally feel they are much less noticeable than the diagonal ones. And yes, if they are not perfectly pieced..if the seam is a hair off of the 45% angle, they might wave. I'm not a fan either, and I hate mitered corners nearly as much. They are never square, and you get dog-eared corners. So...no, its not just you!

You might be able to coax a stretched diagonal seam into submission with a spritz of water and a shot of steam. I imagine those stretched corner miters are caused by repeated folding of the unquilted top. When it's folded many times the corner will get an enthusiastic tug or two if the corners don't meet exactly. Only a cause, not a solution!;)

The bottom border was so wavy, I ended up taking the bottom border off all together - then folded it in half and pinned it to the inside border . . . . had 1 1/2 inches left on each side!!! That meant 3 inches had been somehow sewn into that border seam - I don't get it! The top border is 105, the middle is 103, and that bottom border was over 107!!! I left the extra hanging at the bottom to show my customer that I wasn't just imagining things - she's a new quilter, but now's the time to stop any bad habits! If the quilt wasn't so beautiful, I would have refused it! Live and learn . . .

If I have to piece a border I will piece it with a diagonal seam 95% of the time because I feel it is less noticeable. I have never experienced a wave in my border from that seam. It sounds like your client just had a long border she fed through the sewing machine without measuring anything and then trimmed it to fit. On a quilt that size you can stretch fabric a long way. You will do her a big favor by teaching her how to sew her borders on correctly - whether with a straight seam or a diagonal one. Good Job.

It sounds to me that it is the mitered corners you are talking about. They are probably adding in extra fabric when they cut the miter. I measure the side and use that measurement and make a tick mark on the border fabric that exact measurement. The I line up the ruler and cut a 45 degree angle with the tick mark being the inside of the angle. It works perfectly every time.

Archived