cleaning vintage fabrics

Textile conservators recommend to start with the mildest cleaner and work on until stains are removed. Some products to try--a newer product called "Repro Clean" that has gotten rave reviews. Mild soaps like Dreft or Ivory powder which have no phosphates and are good for just removing dirt.

Mark Lipinski has a recipe for a stain soak that uses a gallon of water, a quart of buttermilk and a tablespoon of lemon juice--sounds gross but it works! Chemical removers include "Grandma's Secret Spot Remover" (I've used it--great product), Sew Clean (ditto--not happy with the results), and some mild liquid dish soaps. Those would be the last resort.

If you are de-staining an unquilted top for later quilting, I have been told several times it's better to quilt and then clean. Repair any holes first and then quilt it. Stain removal last so all fray-able areas are enclosed.

I'll add something that will horrify some people !!! I had some old aprons made and used a long time ago from feedsacks, and a little embroidery, rickrack, buttons. They were stained, and as I really couldn't see keeping them if they weren't looking CLEAN, I first tried many of the above things for vintage things, and then when nothing worked, soaked, and washed in original Tide.....They were almost bright....and very soft and nice. :D So you never can tell....Pat

Soak the fabrics in a solution that has a product called "BIZ". I think you can find it in most grocery store detergent aisles.....I learned this from an Antique dealer years ago. It works! It may however take repeat soakings. I have rescued vintage tea towels, aprons, napkins, tablecloths fabric, and even my own stained clothing using BIZ.

No residual damage to the fabric weave.

I have even removed blue wash out marking pen marks that had darkened onto a quilt with BIZ. :)

A great product himself recently found is the Tide Stick.. in Detergent area, near the Color Catchers. I'd not recommend it without trying it on the obscure damaged area of antique fabric, first. It can also be used on clothing even when wearing them. No chemical burn. We've not found it to discolor or damage any fibers yet. Odorless, which makes it nice. Too small to use on large stains. Have not and cannot try it on wool.

They can be carried in the car, purse, put in work desk, etc. It works so well, that himself bought 2 without even checking the price, and that is saying something.

• 1 year later...

Vintage means how old that fabric is?

I also have some vintage fabrics from 1972 when i was born. My family business is textile manufacturing industry so my father was collected many vintage fabrics. we still gave some fabric samples from 1960s. That all are framed and hung in our house.

Archived