Flat lining tension

I have had perfect tension, now I have flat lines or railroad tracks on the back. I have rethreaded, checked my bobbin tension, check the spring and everything else. I can not get rid of this problem know matter how tight I set the top tension.

I have my machine in the basement, the needle would not stop going up and down so I thought there probably was too much humidity so got a dehumiditifer, now I'm wondering if I have take out to much humidity. My basement is running around 44% humidity.

Can this be the cause of my tension problem. I always use the same batting and the same thread, so I don't have to change the tension.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Patty

Hi Patty,

Try running the edge of a business card under the spring of your bobbin and see if any fluff comes out. Believe it or not, that can be causing it. Something must be catching and pulling the thread too tight.

Are you using pre-wound bobbins? If so, sometimes you may get a bad one. If you are winding your own bobbins, check to see if the thread is firm or springy after you wind it. The thread should be firm and not springy.

You can also try using a different bobbin case and see if that makes a difference.

The needle going up and down can be adjusted with the #8 screw under the hood...static electricity can cause it to change, sometimes it just needs to be adjusted now and then.

Let us know how it goes....maybe someone else can chime in with more ideas?

Thanks I will try that. I am winding my own bobbins. Tension just gives me a headache, thats why I don't usually touch it. I did know about #8 screw but just didn't want to touch that so I thought a dehumidifer would do the trick. Maybe not.

Thanks again I will try that tomorrow.

Very easy to adjust that #8 screw - I've done it several times! Go for it!

I know it is a little more expensive but I switched to prewounds for several reasons, first of all they are much faster to just pop in, second - the tension can vary on each one when you are winding them yourself much more than when they are prewound, (however I do run into a bad one now and then) and you also have more thread on the prewounds which means less bobbin changes. It just works better for me, there are many on the forum that do like to wind their own bobbins, better color selections, etc, but I just found it easier to use the prewounds.

I love, love, love the prewounds! Much more consistent. When I have tension problems from the bobbin, I always check under the finger of my bobbin case and usually find the little "booger" of fuzz there!. Also, when was the last time you replaced the bobbin case? I have had my machine in the basement for over 12 years. I do run a dehumidifier, but I am with Vickie, you need to adjust your #8 screw to stop the needle up-down. Did you re-thread your top thread? After I check the bobbin finger, the next thing is to re-thread the top.

Thanks Vicki and Chris!

I'm about ready to start working on the tension this morning so will let you know.

I have re-threaded to top thread several times but have not checked the bobbin case. I have a new bobbin case here maybe I should try it. How often should you change the case?

I use Signature poly wrapped in cotton thread, what kind of prewound bobbins would work with that thread? Never have tried prewound bobbins. I've had my machine for about 6 years an I'm still learning.

I used to turn the #8 screw all the time, then I had my machine cleaned and reset before the warranty ran out and I decided not to touch that screw again. Haven't had any problem with it until resently.

Thanks again

Patty

Archived