Of all the Log Cabin quilts I've done, I've only custom freehand quilted one. If you're careful about the color of thread you use, and choose a pattern that has close, even spacing you can get a very good result. I have an album of Log Cabin quilts on Webshots if you'd like to look there. Most of them were done before the great new patterns were available, but I think you can see the effects that can be achieved with pattern quilting on Log Cabin quilts.

On the quilt you show in the picture, a leaf pattern would be great. Just make sure it's evenly spaced and dense enough that the pattern really covers the light areas. The thread color should be a medium green. This will add only texture to the dark areas, and deepen the shadows of the quilting in the light areas.

If you need more help or pattern suggestions, you can write me privately.

I just re-read your post and see the colors are blue, burgundy & cream. On my monitor the blues look green.

Consider using a medium lavender thread. This will show evenly on the burgundys & blues. If you use a blue, it will show more on the burgundys and if you use burgundy, it will show more on the blue. The goal here is to make the thread color disappear as much as possible in both the blues & burgundys. If you mixed the 2 colors, you'd get a purple shade, so this is a good choice for the thread color.

Archived