Ripples in right border only

I have read a good deal of discussion about "wavy borders" due to "piecer error"...however....I am noticing I seem to get a wavy in my right side border only. No matter how much measuring, pinning and prepping I do when placing the quilt on the frame -- I always seem to get fullness in right side border.

Do you have any idea what may cause this -- the left side is flat as can be and never a problem.

I have steamed my leaders and let them "cure" zipped together for days (there is a bit of a sag -- less than 1/2 an inch ---- in the middle section that I cannot seem to "get out" due to the large number of small quilts I have done)

I typically baste both the left and right side before I put my side clamps on -- but now I am pinning the right to try to work out the "waviness issue" --- per Linda Taylors comment on her how to video on a similar topic -- but that does not seem to be helping.

I stabilize the blocks in my working area -- before I do the borders ---but try to only do one pass --- I guess I could go to stabilizing the entire quilt (SID all blocks) before doing any quilting -- would that help and be worth the time for all the advancing twice?

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Hi Kelly.

Do you load the top to the leaders or float it?

With floating, you can control and adjust each horizontal seam as you get to it. When you advance, check for a perfect horizontal seam by snugging the hopping foot edge up to the seam, engaging the channel lock, and pushing the head down the seam-line. Adjust and pin in place any section of the seam that is out of line. This will keep the top square as you go. You will be able to easily tell after quilting the field whether the borders are waving.

If the borders are flat as you go, the waving of the right side might be caused by stretching of the border when it's pinned to the top leader and rolled onto the roller. If that's the case, something is wonky--either the rollers are not perfectly parallel or the top leader needs to be trimmed.

You can pin your top leader to the take-up leader, roll back a forth a bit to settle the difference, and the engage the channel lock and run the machine across the front leader near the pins to see if there is an offset. Use an air-erase marker and the hopping foot to mark the straight line or sew a basting stitch with the lock engaged to see how much off the leader is. If the leader is off, you don't need to trim the leader, just use that sewn or marked line to pin to.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

I full float all my quilts, I was really having issues when I was trying to pin the lower edge of the quilt top to the "quilt top" leader. So I basically just use that bar to hold my circle lord front mount.

I run a basting line with my channel locks engaged to secure my batting to my backing (at the top only) and to give me a straight line to pin my top edge to. I center my quilt using a mark on my backing top leader and measure out equal distances from the center to make sure I am truely centered. I then stitch the top edge down.

I then use a ruler to make sure my top row is straight...and I am thinking your channel lock idea is way simpler and faster (duh never thought ouf that).

The waviness seems to be after the 1st or 2nd advance...so I am thinking my leader is off.

will finish this quilt then zip my leaders together and run a basing line with the channel locks to see if that is it.

Thanks

Archived