Re-quilting question

I just got a call from a customer that I quilted her king size quilt. She noticed that two of the rows that she pieced were wrong. She was wondering if she ripped out the quilting, took off the outer border, fixed her mistate, added the border back on, etc. if I could quilt only that portion again.

Are you kidding me? That is what I wanted to say to her.

Have you ever had this happen? What would you tell her? I told her more or less that she should leave it alone and live with it. She told me she was just sick about it and couldn't live with it.

would it make a difference in thinking about the kind of quilting that was done? an all over, or a piecing focused custom, or panto.

It is good that she is willing to take out all of the quilting so all you would need to do is the small (comparatively) area she reworked. Is she willing to pay for the set-up and fresh quilting or is she expecting free work. Free work is not an option.

Amy,

I shipped off a customer quilt that I had made from start to finish - it was a chuppah to be used in a wedding. The quilt was a set of stars with well wishes/blessings from the wedding party in the star centers. The mother of the bride called to tell me that I had left out a block. Mercifully, it was a block next to the border. I unquilted part of the quilt, fixed the mistake and requilted. It was all on my dime since it was my mistake. I was happy to have insisted on a schedule where I had plenty of time to fix my mistake before the wedding.

If your customer is willing to do the work - frogging the old quilting and repiecing - and if she is willing to pay you to requilt, put her in her in your work list and do it with the caveat that you may not be able to requilt exactly as you did on the first go round.

But I agree with Madelyn, requilting for free is not an option.

Lynn

Nonononononono!

Wait--was I shouting? Never frog a huge portion of a quilt like that. What a headache--it'll never re-load evenly and matching the stitching is a bear, not to mention the extra charge for the quilting.

Here's what you can recommend she do.

She can take the same fabric (hopefully she has some left) and make new blocks. Then she can carefully applique the new blocks over the old ones. Then send it for re-quilting with your minimum charge (mine is $50) for loading and stitching.

OR--she can carefully pick out only the bad blocks (and nothing else), rotate them correctly and use both fusible underneath the seams and a tiny applique stitch to connect. Then you can re-stitch with a reasonable fee.

Never do this for free--her mistake is her problem, but cheerfully offer to help her and she'll be a fan for life.

I understand how those mistakes suck the joy from you--I have the same problem with any of my mis-stitches while quilting that I decide not to correct. Those uglies scream at me from across the room! :P

Archived