Big spirals quilt

Nancy--the spiral was drawn so it stayed the same distance apart from about the third go-round out to the end. It's not a true spiral because a classic one would have the space between the arm getting ever-larger. If you want a denser spiral, mark and stitch one and then rotate the placement 90 degrees and mark and stitch a second one with the same center-point. If you want a continuous-type spiral, mark one, flip the stencil over and match the ends to have two connected spirals--one stitched out and the other stitched in.

About the spiral stencil--Den cut it out of rigid clear plastic--it may be 1/8" thick or so. It was made to mark with marking pens, not with a pounce pad. To mark with chalk, I used a foam brush dipped in a container of plain chalk and swiped it in the groove. Way less messy and you use lots less chalk this way.

It's 14" across but he can digitize them for any distance between the spirals and any size up to your stitching field. I had him cut the grooves wider than normal because with this top I needed to use chalk on the black and marking pen on the colors. To fit the pen in the groove without tearing up the tip, it needed to be wider and I placed the point against the inside of the spiral. I wanted easy clean-up of both lines--chalk and marker-- so I used a damp cloth to remove both types of marks.

Den's in Wisconsin until Sunday and I'm leaving for Disneyland tomorrow and won't be home until Wednesday. If you are interested in a spiral stencil, please contact Denny at

dennisrech@comcast.net

He can quote you a price and shipping costs, after Sunday sometime. Thanks for your interest! I'll take a photo of the stencil so you can get the gist...

Archived