Batik Backing, Good or Bad?

Say, somewhere along the line I was given the advice to not take batiks as a backing. I've got a quilt coming in that is batik on front and she purchased a batik for the backing.

Do any of you take batiks for backings? If not, why not. If so, do I need to make any adjustments to my machine or frame to make it a stress free experience.

I'm really curious as to what types of problems occur. I've never heard any specifics.

Thanks all. As usual, I'm ever so grateful for any replies.

Linda

my experience with batiks on the back is bearding. the tight weave causes pokies to come thru the back. sometimes washing will help to pull them back thru but sometimes not. the large size of the needle going thru the tight weave pushes the batting with the thread. I guess that is what causes it but anyway, especially if it is a dark fabric and a white batting you will not be happy with the pokies showing through.

Some have worked wonderfully, others have been a continual problem.

If I have any problem at all with them it is that the needle pokes a hole in the backing instead of sliding between the threads leaving little tiny holes with frayed edges at each needle hole. I've tried new needles, loosen the tension on the backing fabric, everything I could think of.

I can't tell until I get started whether it will be ok, or have the holes. I usually use Hobbs 80/20 and don't have problems with pokies.

Any one else have this problem?

I use Batik backings all the time. There are some that are "softer" than others, but I have used both successfully. I DO NOT use cotton thread, only poly so don't have problems with thread breakage or it pulling the batting out. Just make sure you use a new needle and preferably a 3.5 size.

i'm a batik freak & use batik backings alot.

i LOVE the finished look of an all batik quilt.

the only thing i always do is launder the backing before quilting to soften it up a bit.

i use a new 3.5 needle.

i'm no expert, so if i can use batik backs, so can you!

Be careful about using a 3.5 needle though. I did a batik quilt last year with lots of seams, using a 3.5 needle. I must have hit an area where many seams met, broke the needle and screwed up the timing badly. I had to learn to retime after having the machine for 4 years without any issues with timing. I went on to use a 4 needle to finish up quilt. I am now leary of using a 3.5 needle and haven't since that awful experience. :o:o

I have quilted many batik quilts with batik backing with no problems. Occassionaly getting pokies.

I have quilted batik backings on batik tops and batik backs on cotton tops for customers. I have used Hobbs 80/20, bamboo silk, and one of the QD products but don't remember which one off hand. I always use a 3.5 needle and notice sometimes I have to change needles before the quilt is finished. They seem to dull faster than the larger ones. I hope I don't curse myself here but I have not experienced pokies. I do tend to slow everything down just a bit when quilting any of these combinations, the batik fabric does not move like the cotton so it is stiffer and I always have to tell myself to loosen the backing more than I think it should be, otherwise you hear a popping noice as the needle goes in and out if the backing. Like Patty, I never use cotton thread, I always use my favorite SoFine or Bottom Line. I also always used MagnaGlide bobbins so tension is just not an issue for me. Go with confindence, most people who try batiks and don't like them don't experiment to find the right combo to make it work with their particular machine.

Make sure she washes the back, especially dark backs. There can be loads of extra dye which will transfer to the top when washing later. I had a customer that had to wash her quilt 5 times, with multiple color catchers each load. First washing the backing dye transferred dye to the top. Five washings later, the color was gone from the top. I usually suggest my customers use Retayne when they wash the backings. Like everyone said, it also helps soften the fabric.

Like many have said above it's a good idea to wash the batik before quilting to remove dye residue and to soften the fabric. The only all-batik quilt that I quilted came out great, but I did have a rocky start. I used Hobbs wool batting and So Fine thread and started with a 3.5 needle. I had no issues with pokies using the Hobbs wool. The needle broke on my second pass. Fortunately just the tip of the needle broke and fell through the bobbin area so there was no damage to my machine. I then put in a 4.0 and slowed down. Worked like a charm! I will be quilting more batiks in the future...just don't currently have a batik quilt to put on the frame. I think I broke the 3.5 needle because I was moving too fast and hit a seam. We don't learn if we don't try so I would say go for it...it will be lovely!

I have had similar problems to those listed above, mostly frayed holes, pokies when using cotton batting ( but no problems with wool), and poor tension on the back when using King Tut top/bottom.

I now use a size 16 needle, and bottomline in the bobbin. I also tested a sample of Coats polyester prewound bobbin thread which came with my machine 2 and a half years ago, and had great results with it, using it with King Tut on the top. I was actually surprised how lovely the stitches looked on the back! The only problem was that I'd quilted the quilt already, frustrated all the way with the difficulties, only to find the solution when I did yet another test swatch at the end of the quilt!

I think the best thing is to use a polyester in the bobbin and test the combination before quilting. I also use a longer stitch length when using King Tut or similar to accommodate the thicker thread, and move the machine a little slower.

Archived