Need ideas for storing my stash

I've been busy preparing my room for Lucey's arrival. Since she will be taking up approximately one third of the room, I've had to consolidate and eliminate a lot of stuff in there! It's coming along nicely but now I need to 'store the stash' and since I've had to ditch one of my fabric cabinets I need some ideas. I like the idea of those "mini bolts" but in order to get enough to put all my fabric on them it would cost a small fortune. So, share your stash storage ideas, wouldja?

You can make your own mini-bolts using the comic book card stock, sorry I can't remeber exactly what the name is but the things they use so the book will not fold. They cost about $10 for 100 I believe. I will see it I can find a photo tomorrow. If you google mini bolt tutorial, they are good to look at too!

I fold my fabric a certain way and put it on Ikea Billy bookcases (you can get glass doors as well), full bolts on Ikea wooden shelves, WIP in Target/Wal Mart sweater boxes (see-through), thread in roly-polies that are made for scrapbooking (four of five drawers are snap closed 12 x 12 drawers (got them at Costco), fabric under my shelves are Elfa (and Closet Maid) wire basket drawers (need to use the drawer clips so I don't pull them all the way out). For mini-bolts, you can take a full size cardboard bolt and cut it in half, kinda bulky, but free (if you were closer....). I love the sweater boxes and roly polies because they fit under my longarm. I really should post pictures!

Your right, those fabric storage boards are expensive. I know, I bought them ---before I found out about the comic book storage boards! at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BCW-Current-Comic-Backing-Boards/dp/B002SB3786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337960133&sr=8-1

I love storing my stash vertically on shelves. It's the best thing I've ever done as far as storing fabric. I do have a north east facing sewing room with two windows at the far end of the room, so no direct sunlight on the fabric.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cDtNXP_oM9Jm-gAVXHEWNNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I can see and find everything! and is such a plus!

Enjoy your new organized space! ;)

Storage Boards.. we make them from foam board, which we buy at Dollar Tree. We get several boards from each sheet, from 4 X 6" to 5 X 7 to 5X9 to 6X9 to 8 by 12 and any size wanted in between. The smallest fabric we wrap is larger than a FQ and on up. This beats rolling for space used. and you can see the fabric as is on the roll, or, easily pull out for a larger view of the fabric, if not packed tight on the shelf. FQ we stack in colorways, and smaller than F8 is cut into strips and blocks.

These can also be listed by size, We found it too mind bopggling to list all, so anything over 3 yards size is listed, and guessing size on the smaller boards becomes easy as you measire or just eyeball the sizes as they were wrapped.

We list the larger sizes on a tiny-post- it whcih is taped to the board, so they can easily be found cut and new notes taped on as used. I'll try to add a couple pict showing the way the shelves are spaced to use more shelf and how pretty it is. It is not arranged in color ways yet. We want it all wrapped first. Makes it easier to find what is needed/

The boards we found too small are the ones less than 4" wide.

Thanks so much for the ideas! I love that comic book board idea! I ordered 4 packs of them and hope that they will make my stash much easier to store and will look nice in Lucey's room! I'll be looking for the rolly carts for thread and stuff, and I only WISH that we had an IKEA store nearby. I am getting real anxious for my Lucey to arrive!

Originally posted by Callie_Grace

You can make your own mini-bolts using the comic book card stock, sorry I can't remeber exactly what the name is but the things they use so the book will not fold. They cost about $10 for 100 I believe. I will see it I can find a photo tomorrow. If you google mini bolt tutorial, they are good to look at too!

I searched for comic book cards online and found several source at around $10 per pk of 100. However shipping made the actual price much more. So... I looked up local comic book stores and found that I could walk in and purchase packs of 100 cards for about $6. !! Woo Hoo. And no shipping.

The cards are too tall for my bookcase, but I had a printing company make one cut through the whole package so my mini bolts will be 6-3/4" x 9".

Now I can't wait to try it! Thanks for getting me thinking in this direction.

Oh, one more thing I may try. Cut a batch of freezer paper strips about 2"x5" and as I wrap each bolt I'll "tape" the ends securely by ironing on the freezer paper. This can be written on with pencil to mark yardage etc.

Wow, who knew such things existed. I just have all my stash in 3 door rolling carts under my machine. I think I like the idea of it being on bolts however so may rethink this as I kind of declutter this summer. Thanks for all the ideas.

I've been out of town again for daughter so when I came back I unloaded the car and off I went to the comic store to get card stock and I have to say the card stock is an awesome idea. I sat last night and didn't even put much of a dent in the stash but will poke at it alittle each day. The fabric looks so nice lined up on the shelf and I measured each piece and wrote on the card stock how much is there so I don't have to guess if there's enough for a project. Thanks for all the great ideas.

This is a great tip! I am getting ready to set my new studio and have lots of stash in totes. I can't really see what I have and have to dig everytime I am looking for a certain fabric. I will definately be putting this tip to use. Thanks for sharing. Dustee

I bought some bookshelves from St. Vincent de Paul, cleaned them up (they were in great shape), and placed them side by side. I tried to fold my stash but that didn't work (when I removed one piece from the stash, the rest of the pile wanted to come along). So I tried to roll the pieces and viola it worked. I can pull a rolled piece of fabric from the very bottom of the shelf space and the others stay put and then (with a little help from me) fill in the empty space. If you are in a location that gets the sun, you can hang a sheet over the fronts of the bookshelves. And, I usually sort my fabric by some sort of method. Southwest in one place, children's in another, etc. When that doesn't work, I have a blue shelf, a green one, a purple one, etc. I love this method.

Archived