Finished 2nd quilt. need advice!!!

Originally posted by queenie123

Keep the quilt ,everybody knows quilters are easy going people ,you didnt realize how much you loved it until the binding went on,you will hate yourself for a long long time if you follow through with the trade as is

Great point!

Better that she is peeved at you for 20 minutes rather than you being mad at yourself forever!;)

Since SHE PICKED her quilt top, why don't you get to PICK YOUR painting? Along with things others have said above (with which I agree), there is not a lot of equity here. Boss or no boss, just tell her you cannot part with this one. Can you remake the top (much smaller) and do less quilting and still pick your painting?????

I am sorry that this lady thught that a great quilt was equal to a painting that is done for a hobby. The framing could easily be a lot of money even for a small one. Don't give the quilt away for less than it is worth. Even if you got what it was worth I think you would still regret it. Regret is such a bad emotion because you can never change it. If you do this you will need to be able to live with your decision forever. (Hopefully that is a long time!)

Bonnie H,

I have also quilted for friends or acqaintances for lower cost than normal and I have told them about wavy borders. A quilter would understand if it was shown to them and then I would give them options of taking the borders off and fixing them, at a charge or they do it and bring it back, or to put pleats in it. You could start the conversation with I know there are various ways to do this but I was wondering how you measure your borders before putting them on....

This discussion should end with her saying is this what is happening with my quilt? Then you can say yes and get down to the nitty gritty of figuring out what to do with the quilt without you feeling guilty or her feeling that her piecing is being picked on.

I sure hope you get to keep your quilt and barter her painting for a small wall hanging or something similar.

Good Luck!!!

Rather than telling her you don't think it's a fair trade by putting a dollar value on both items, tell her that after careful consideration your quilt has to much sentimental value for you to part with it. By putting it in those terms she won't have hurt feelings thinking that you think your work is so much more valuable than hers. Hope this makes sense.

I think you need to be kind but firm tell this is your first quilt and because it is sentimental you have decided to keep this one, but when you finish another one you would be glad to trade, then ask the colors she prefers, and tell her it would of course be a smaller quilt due to the cost. Jacque

OK......my advice.

Without going into ANY explanation to her (e.g. don't say her painting is small, or that you were disappointed that she wanted you to put the cheap hobby lobby frame together...questionable fair trade...that your project was much more expensive and time consuming to make than her tiny painting.... yadda.. etc.) Don't go there.

Sure, honesty is the best policy but... Some things should just go unsaid. You can be honest, but not spill it all out on the table to her. Be honest, but discrete. Carefully use your discretion with the words you choose. Just simply tell her that you regret it but after much thought you have decided to keep this quilt for yourself. Nothing else. No more explaining. Anything else you tell her will be offensive to her.. Just don't go there. Stay on the high road. Some things are better left unsaid. So dont... say anything else. Just say you want to keep this quilt.

Then tell her you are very excited to make her a different quilt. Don't tell her the size. Just tell her you are making her one. (...in your own mind, you might consider perhaps lap size with a pretty pantograph). Don't discuss anything about costs for fabric, or time involved...etc. Just pick a pattern you like with some fabric, ask her what colors she likes, and you make the quilt and give it to her. Don't make a big deal about it. And with that, gladly accept her painting with much thanks and appreciation.

Lesson learned: Don't agree to trade for something you have not seen yet.

She'll get over it. In the big scheme of things, this is small. And, you won't hurt her feelings either.

Whatever you do, don't mention anything about costs or splitting costs, or expenses. This is supposed to be about a trade.

(((hugs)))

DON'T TRADE OFF YOUR QUILT you will regret it for the duration of your life! ask me how I know???

Please don't allow her to Bully you into giving your quilt away...

Please tell her that you have changed your mind, that this quilt is just too precious to you.

Archived