How should I quilt this quilt with African fabric?

LeeAnn

I got this fabric on a trip to Africa last summer and I was wondering how to quilt it. I originally thought concentric circles or spiral in the circles but I will probably use black thread and wasn't sure if that would show. or should I do an E2E?

post--1346190863718_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

I see doing special fun in the black pieces and a simple hold it rounded ribbon candy style in the prints. Nice work.

What do you mean by "rounded ribbon candy style"? I know what ribbon candy is but is it just a meander type?

And special fun in the black, I don't understand either. I'm pretty dull headed. :( sorry.

Perhaps stitch black on the black and a goldy-tan on the prints (or a metallic gold if that is what your eye likes). Start in the center of a four-block in the black and stitch an echoed line matching the curve of the quarter circle. Go back and forth from seam to seam in arcs that fills the area--ending at one corner. I think six or eight lines will fill nicely. You can curve the ends at the seams, but a sharp point there will fit with the geometrics of the prints. Enter the adjacent "L" shape of the black and stitch the same, ending closest to the next black circle segment--SID in the seam to the center again set up for filling that area, stitch again back and forth ending closest to the last "L" and fill that. If you end on the correct side, you are set up to enter the next four-block to enable you to stitch all along the stitching field continuously.

It's not necessary to use that exact design, but it is a way to accomplish filling all across without stopping. Because the black will only show texture, any filler you like will be great.

Use the same techniques to stitch on the prints--if you opt for the design mentioned, you will have lots of practice on the black so when you stitch on the prints it will be perfect!:)

My idea of rounded ribbon candy style was just lines about an inch apart but rounded at the edges line you would with ribbon candy in the print. For the black I was thinking that you could use a fun design that you like, a shape of feathers in all the black or other motif ideas. Since I use George, I don't usually think of just going straight across from side to side, I see block enhancement when I look.

Archived