Cindy Needham, vintage linen quilter.

I just finished day 2 of a three days of classes taught by Cindy Needham. She is the Linen Quilter and a funny, massively talented and generous instructor.

She uses vintage linens to build beautiful wholecloth quilts--all on her DSM. She had the most beautiful items to show which she encouraged us to pet and fondle. She stressed several times that when you use tablecloths, doilies, tea towels, etc. that were lovingly and painstakingly embroidered, embellished with crochet, or made with needlelace techniques, that the maker comes first. That woman from generations ago--her work is what makes the quilt special. Her tiny eyelets, handmade lace, tiny cross-stitch--those are the bones of the piece. You are secondary and hope the maker would approve of what you do to extend and expand the life or her handiwork.

If your guild needs a speaker/ instructor, or you need someone to teach at a retreat, I highly recommend her. She is a busy lady and is booked out to next year, but if you are coming to Portland in October for MQX, check her list of classes and see if there is something that you may like. I'll post some photos tomorrow of the great things we did in class.

Cindy spoke to our Guild here in Tucson a few months back and taught some one day workshops. I agree with what Linda said...she is an excellent teacher, her work is beautiful and even her blog is worth following. Nancy in Tucson

Linda, this post came at exactly the right time! I have been collecting linens for awhile now and I'm being particular about what I get. (got 3 today) I have several and one I am nuts about. I want to "draw them out" this next week and give them a go with Stitch. This concept has totally captured my sensibility and even thinking about it makes me happy. Quilting does that for me - just makes me happy.

Archived