Wide Quilt Backing Fabric

Guest Linda S

Yes, Hancock's of Paducah has good prices on the wide fabrics they have, but they don't have that many. I think lots of places are beginning to stock more. I make lots of my quilts with Moda Fabrics and love buying them at a very good price at Christian Lane. Moda is definitely not WalMart fabric. Also, if you're interested in wholecloth, sateen is a great fabric for those projects. Christian Lane has sateen, and I think I saw some in the last Hancock's of Paducah catalog. I'll have to check and seed if SewBatik has some.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Oh goodness! I forgot all about these folks. They have nice stuff also. The thing I like about widefabrics.com is that they have wide flannel. While it is not my favorite thing to use for backing, I have a lot of quilters who like their quilt backs to be flannel. This is a good source.

Linda

Originally posted by Linda S

Yes, Hancock's of Paducah has good prices on the wide fabrics they have, but they don't have that many. I think lots of places are beginning to stock more. I make lots of my quilts with Moda Fabrics and love buying them at a very good price at Christian Lane. Moda is definitely not WalMart fabric. Also, if you're interested in wholecloth, sateen is a great fabric for those projects. Christian Lane has sateen, and I think I saw some in the last Hancock's of Paducah catalog. I'll have to check and seed if SewBatik has some.

Linda

NOPE. The name says it all SewBATIK. They have beautiful batik cottons and the most decadent flannel batiks you'll ever meet. (Feel very much like the heavy chamois cloth.) As I said on the other wide fabric thread: Sometimes only a batik will do <VBG>.

Guest Linda S

Okay Kathy - I'm wrong, you're right. Now -- can you just drop it? For pity's sake, this is getting really stupid. I don't know what I did to make you want to contradict every post I make, but have it your way. I have ceased to grin.

Linda

Let's see... you told me to not encourage people to spend more money than they needed to..... I thought we were all adults and could make up our own minds. I just recommended a place that had nice fabric and you felt it necessary to compare prices without comparing it to another batik fabric/company.

You asked, and got your answer... and you're right it's stupid.

Guest Linda S

Hi Gable - I've done both. One thing to be sure and check is the bargain backs section. There can be some great buys there if you have a quilt that is smaller than queen sized. I've bought some pieces there that served for two lap or baby quilts. All one piece and quite a savings.

Linda

Another thing to keep in mind when looking at the Bargain Backs is that some of the smaller cuts would be perfect for some nice long borders! Love it!!! Also, I find that a fatback can be enough for backing, maybe a border and binding as well, depending on the size of the quilt.

Oh Sandra - Good point! I was thinking like Linda - for lap quilts and such -

but didn't even consider borders! Without any seams, great idea too! What

a super way to share advice and ideas here - thank you for posting those

web sites - I really do need to place an order for some backing fabric.

Right now I am still trying to prewash and organize my stash. I do have a

few pieces here I found that have enough yardage for backings - need to

have them measured-up so I can always sell them or suggest them to my

customers - or maybe use them myself!! (and yet I want more......:D)

Guest Linda S

Great idea Sandra! I usually end up buying lots of yardage for quilts, simply because I hate to piece long borders (unless, of course, they are a fancy pieced border! ;):P ). With the fabric selection, I can usually find something that is already in the front of my quilt, so it matches perfectly. I really love Moda -- they have a great line.

Linda

Archived