Mountain Mist batting

Hi...just wondering if any of you have used Mountain Mist batting on your long arm. It was brought with the embroidered heart quilt and now I seem to be getting puffiness in the borders. Not sure if it is me or the batting...lol...hoping the batting!

Mountain Mist has never been one of my favorite batting. I always dreaded it when a customer brought me one. It always had issues. But I haven't quilted with it in a long, long time so I am not sure about the quality of it anymore. I am sure some one will chime in with current experience with it.

Della, I use Mountain Mist poly one time on a poorly pieced log cabin quilt using the Swirls CL boards. It was the dickens to control the puffiness and I thought it looked terrible with the Swirls (I have never had a quilt look bad with that pattern. Ever.).

I made a baby quilt yesterday with Quilter's Dream Poly. The QD Poly isn't nearly as thick and was easy to work with. Also I did a customer quilt recently with Quilter's Dream Puff, which is more along the lines of the Mountain Mist in its fluffiness, and it was really easy to work with. I'm going to be using both of these battings in the future. Loved quilting with them!

So with these two other options, I think it is likely Mountain Mist is one I won't be using.

Thanks for your opinions! This lady is a long time hand quilter but she now has hand issues that is keeping her from doing it anymore. She always used Mountain Mist for hand stitching and I can see where that probably worked real well....but with the machine?? Not so good. Won't let anyone bring me more...heheh Thanks again...now I feel better!

Originally posted by Della

Thanks for your opinions! This lady is a long time hand quilter but she now has hand issues that is keeping her from doing it anymore. She always used Mountain Mist for hand stitching and I can see where that probably worked real well....but with the machine?? Not so good. Won't let anyone bring me more...heheh Thanks again...now I feel better!

Della, the gal that brought me the Mountain Mist was a hand quilter, too. I did another quilt for her after that first one with MM and I used W&N. She did notice a difference in the finished quilt (so did I LOL).

I USED to use Mountain Mist because I thought it was the best..........since I have learned a few things, I don't use it any more...........I did have one package left and got it out recently to use it up. Fought with it the whole time, my fingers would go right through it, big poofy places that wouldn't lay flat (even after I took it out of the package to relax for a few days. I won't every buy it again and hope no one brings me any to use.

I guess I am the odd man out here.... If a customer brings me Mountain Mist or Fairfield, I use it. It's not my most favorite batting in the world... I just deal with it. Me? I will not be the one to complain to my customer and I will not be the person that rejects which batting my customer decides to bring me. It's their batting they purchased. It's their quilt they want me to quilt for them. If they want me to quilt their quilt with Mt. Mist or Fairfield, I do it. It's not my place to deny them. They hired me to quilt their quilt for them...

So,,, curious what's next on the longarmer's "No I refuse" category? Do longarmers start denying customers if they bring you quilts made with fabric from the cheap chain stores? I'm not going there... sorry! Not my place to judge or deny my customers for the choices they make for their quilts. I'm just the person they are hiring quilt it together for them.

But... if a customer asks me for my opinion or recommendation on battings, I am happy to oblige. :)

I think some of you should write to the Mountain Mist folks and tell them that their batting is being refused by longarm machine quilters. I am sure they would appreciate the honest feedback.

Same goes with those of you who refuse the Fairfield battings. If you refuse them because you hate the batting, you should do the right thing and let them know.

Also contact your local stores that sell these battings and let them know your opinions.

Gosh, now I feel bad! I am most interested in how to make the nicest quilt I can for my customer. Since I am still in my first year of machine quilting, I have much much to learn and figuring out the different bats is right in there with the rest of it. The experience with the Mt. Mist led me to think it was the batting but was not sure. I have quilted really pretty quilts straight onto blankets so I don't tell customers what they can use...lol...but I will try to guide my hand quilters to a more machine friendly batting!!! Thanks, Shana, for helping me to see what I am about.....quilting!

I agree with Shana...... i've gotten just about every batting ever made here. I just deal with it. If they ask on the phone I will recommend a few that I like and I mention that I do carry batting here to purchase, if you want me to make the choice. I just don't understand some of the logic involved in their choices. They use quality fabric, and spend alot of time piecing their quilts to perfection and then they bring me the cheapest route for backing and batting. I really don't agree, but it's not my choice, I just work my magic and make them happy.

Carol :)

Agreeing with Shana too!

I just figure I am so blessed to have the business, I don't care what they want to use. I have only asked to use a different batt on two occasions. One was my dear friend wanted to use a wool (beige color) bat in her white quilt... I had some white wool so used that. The other time, customer brought a MM that literally shredded as I tried to put it on the long arm. We used a different batt.

Whenever I have a new customer, I give them a copy of my LA wish list. IE: square quilts, check all seams, etc. If they don't do it, I just fix 'em and charge 'em. I believe every quilt deserves a chance. Have you ever seen a quilt that was made of anger or hate and not love? Unlikely!

I currently have one of 3 on that has a MM that's similar to Warm n Nat. Although it's really really thin. I do try to educate them on batts, threads, etc. That's all we can do. I'm not a quilting Nazi! I want them to come back over and over!!!!!! So the better I make them feel, and the prettier their quilts look, the more they will come back.

I haven't had anyone bring Mt. Mist batting. I used to quilt Fairfield 80/20, but I now refuse it. The reason was, brand new out of the package, it would have huge holes in it. It happened on a fairly regular basis. I don't have a clue why it had the holes, but the only thing I could do was to trade my customers for what I stock and use theirs up on a charity quilt or two where I could cut it up into pieces and avoid the hole. It was just a hassle so I stopped taking it. I never had problems with any of the other Fairfield products, only the 80/20. They make a 60/40 blend that's supposed to be geared for longarmers. It's just harder to find. Not stocked at Joanns where a lot of customers would pick up their batting with a coupon.

Thanks everyone! This forum has been instumental in teaching me how to quilt! I value your judgement and am blown away by the talent that is displayed in the quilts that you post! As for Mountain Mist, I will say not my favorite...lol...but I am sure there are worse things coming....lol But one thing for sure, I know where to come if I am having a problem!!!

If I am handed a batting that I'm unfamiliar with or that I know I've had problems with, we open it (it's almost always a packaged batt) so I can inspect it for holes and see if it will hold up to longarming. Un-scrimmed batting is terrible, some bamboo blends are so fuzzy I can't (and won't) accept them just for the health of my lungs. QD Request is never accepted--no way. And I show them why.

I run my business in a friendly way, am kind to my customers, generally giving them more than they pay for, but I have several instances where I stand my ground. If the batting is unacceptable--for whatever reason-- they will be happier and I will be happier with another choice. I consider it education--they don't know as much as I do about what will work best for which application. That's just another thing they are paying me for--my experience and knowledge.

Archived