Pressure cooker questions

sewhappy

If there is an Extension office in your area they have tons of info you could look up the pressure cooker company like presto they usually have lots of stuff. If you can't find anything....I can send you some web sites when I get to work tomorrow...I work at the University of Missouri Extension office in our county and we deal with this question all the time.

Guest Linda S

You can use just about any crockpot recipe in your pressure cooker. My best advice to you is to save the receipt for your pressure cooker. They tend to die after not-too-much use. Best tip for game? Cut away as much of the fat that you can before you cook it. The fat is generally what has the nasty taste in it.

Linda

My Husband and I have a Personal Chef business and we use the pressure cooker quite a bit as it saves loads of time. My favorite cook book for the pressure cooker is The Pressured Cook by Lorna Sass. Our favorite recipe that my clients love is Risotto with Buttermut Squash and Sage. Actually the pressure cooker is great for making any kind of Risotto. I'm sure once you start using it, you will really love it.

• 4 months later...

If you have questions about your presure cooker working properly, like the gauges, gaskets, etc. The county extension office checks them for you. I think our county charges $2. The newer pressure cookers have some safety features that the older ones do not have. I have a couple of good, heavy, old ones, but I don't use them for pressure any more. I need to break down and buy a new one.

I don't know about game but I finally got a pressure cooker to cook rice. I live at 7000 feet elevation and rice just does not cook right here without it.

I suggest you try googling the works pressure cooker game and recipe and see what comes up. I find some of the best recipies on the internet any more.

I have my Grandmother's old pressure cooker - it still works great. I did buy a new rubber seal 2 years ago; but we have a huge garden and I can a lot of green beans and tomatoes so in August it gets put to the test. I have never tried meat in it; but I know Grandma canned chicken and beef. Her beef and noodles were to die for, real mashed potatoes with real cream and real butter and she also cooked her frosting for her white cake. I remember licking the pan to this day - okay now I'm hungry!

Sharon

Sharon,

We just got our garden in last nigh, (most of it), I am so looking forward to canning beans and salsa. I have canned venison and it is yummy, we don't like it any other way. If you have hunters, and living in Iowa, I bet you do, you should try this recipe.

I have a Presto aluminum pressure cooker that I have had for about 30 years and it still work fine. The only things your have to replace is the over pressure valve and the sealing ring. I also have a pressure canner that is not used much anymore. At 15 lbs pressure (a standard pressure determined by the USDA in 1917) water boils at 257 deg F. This speeds up cooking by up to 70%. Some of the old cookers without safety valves had problems with exploding but this is pretty much a thing of the past. This is why you don't want to fill too full or cook anything that could plug the hole the regulator sets on.

Our friends at higher altitude will attest to the fact if you want to cook dried beans, rice and other items the pressure cooker is a necessity.

I have a cookbook Pressure Cooker Cooking is Pleasure Cooking. There are many pressure cooker cookbooks available.

At my house it's a big "thumbs up" for pressure cookers. As a rancher's wife I learned to use them (yes, I have multiples) 36 years ago. Never had an accident or a problem and they are the BEST for a less than tender cut of meat or game. One of my family's favorite dishes is beef or elk roast (arm, chuck or similar) browned in a little olive oil (in the cooker with top off), along with thick onion slices, Mushrooms, (if I have them) and garlic (if you like it). The pour over a bottle of beer (alcohol evaporates) and pressure at 15 lbs. for as long as the volume of meat calls for. The beer, onion and meat juices make a wonderful gravy over mashed potatoes or rice/noodles. After removing the meat (careful, it easily falls apart) you can thicken the gravy more if you like.

You will become addicted to your cooker when you see how much time it saves you. Especially if you have danced at your machine too long into the afternoon (voice of experience). enjoy...

georgia

• 1 month later...

Here's a dish that I use often in the pressure cooker. Not really a recipe because I just throw things in there.

I buy a pork loin but you could use thick pork chops. Cut them into chunks - probably about twice as large as what you would call "bite size". Season them and brown them -- I do it that in the pressure cooker with a little oil.

Peel apples (I use Granny Smith) and cut them into chunks. I use a lot of apples -- usually up to the fill line. They're going to become applesauce anyway. Add a little liquid and any other seasonings you want. I've occasionally added just a touch of cinnamon, or cumin or Five Spice Powder.

Simmer under pressure for just a few minutes. Serve over saffron rice or wild rice. Makes great leftovers too!

Judy:

I think you should start a Bed & Breakfast. Mary Beth & I will be your first customers, Ok Mary Beth?? Only it should be a Bed & Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (plus snacks of course) Maybe call it a Retreat for Burned out Quilters!!! (We have to make it sound official somehow!

After coming to work for the County Extension office I found out that my canning books were out dated....by about 15 years. They changed the requirements for canning in the early 90's. For those of you who can, go to Wal-Mart and purchase a new Ball Canning Book and call your extension office. Most of them will mail you all the publications they have or you can print them right from your computer and their web site. Also, our office will check the gauges and gaskets to make sure they are still good. It is worth it to have these things checked.

JudyL. how do I make a reservation??

Archived