Professional Tote bag

Jen, the first bag I made I used zippers I bought at JoAnn's I think. They were ok. I couldn't find any swivel hooks I liked so I went on her site and bought some of hers. I figured I might as well order a few other things I might need for another bag while I was there. She sent the stuff really fast, but I had already made half of my bag so two zippers were already in. After seeing her zippers up close I wanted to take my two out and replace them. I liked her zippers that much better. I didn't, but just saying it crossed my mind is saying a lot. LOL. They seemed to have more "substance" to them, they felt better and the zipper pull was bigger and stronger. Now that I know what I like I can look in other places too. She just had the right ones and a slew of colors and I thought the prices were good. The best part was I could shop in my pajamas. LOL. I found the cord and the cord stops at JoAnn's, but they were about the same price as the one's on her site. I also liked her little swivel hooks better because they were smaller and still felt well made. The Pelon I bought at JoAnn's because I bought an entire bolt at 50% off which made it less than $2.50 per yard so it was a great deal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are great bags. I have the rose print in an iron caddy, waiting to be finished. (those are fun and easy- mine needs binding...why is it always binding?!)

My dgf made the tote and it is large.

Mine's cut out, but that was as far as I got before I got distracted...like you said, there is a lot of cutting and fusing. I like your idea to add more pockets.

I think a lot of people bought the pattern then looked at the instructions and put it away. LOL. I know I would have had I not promised to make it for my cousin who was so gracious to us during our trip to Sturgis. I HAD to make it. Once you get it all out and start cutting it you'll be amazed at how fast it will go. Even the zippers. I honestly think you could skip the zippers if you wanted to, but I liked them. The only spots I had to pay close attention to was the "dots" on the lining where you clip them and match them. Not hard just seemed weird at first because I matched them, but had missed clipping them. You DO have to clip them for it to sew right. And sewing the top piece on after installing the zippers. Again...not hard, but you may have to re-read it a couple of times. The rest was a piece of cake. I thought it was weird to have two pages of labels to copy and attach to the pieces as you cut them out, but you will certainly see why that makes things so much easier as you are making the bag. These were great instructions. Usually I end up almost re-writing every thing because it makes it clearer and easier...didn't have to do that here. I did make a couple of notes of things I wanted to do differently for subsequent bags. Personal preference things like maybe making one without the last zipper, etc. The pattern is great. You're going to really like the bag. Remember this is NOT purse size...it is a BAG.

Originally posted by Craftychick

Made one of these out of Amy Butler fabrics a few years ago to use as a diaper bag. It was surprisingly easy to put together. I found the pattern easy to follow as the instructions were really well written. Would post a pic if a I knew how. :)

Give this a try:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=28638

Well, I gave in and ordered the Profession Tote Bag pattern and stuff to make it. We are going on a cruise in the Fall and I thought this would be great to use for that and will be nice to take on the plane, etc. That is one of the neatest bags I've seen in a long time.

Thanks, Oma! I found it. It's a totally cute bag. My biggest problem is that I see something I want to make and I want to do it now, but no pattern, no fabric, or whatever it is I need at the time. When I have to order something, it seems to have lost interest for me by the time it gets here, or I'm already working on something else and it gets put on the back burner. Am I the only one that this happens to? This may explain why my closest is full of stuff that never gets made! :P

Originally posted by quiltingjoyful51

Bonnie, That's what happens every time I come on this site. I want to make something I see and by the time I find it in a shop or order it I either made do or can't remember what I was going to make it for.

Joyce, I hate to cheer a negative but at least we aren't in the boat by ourselves!

Archived