Bobbin thread is breaking

Yesterday I was working freehand on a quilt and after quilting a part my bobbin thread breaks.

Sometimes even just after a few stitches.

This happened many times.

And I have more then half of this quilt to go.

I'm using Bottom line pre-wound bobbins.

Yesterday the previous needle broke, so there is a new needle. The tension is as far as I can see no problem.

My top thread is not giving any problem.

What can issue this problem??

Could be bad prewound bobbin, maybe you need to put in new bobbin case if the other has a nick on it that you can't see. Wrong needle or not up all the way or turned a bit. Check for nick on needle plate around needle hole.

I suggest having 3 or 4 bobbin cases to change out when you can't figure out what is going wrong. Most need to be cleaned after a while under the metal flap. You can run a thread under there and take out the gunk.

JoAnn

After spending an evening troubleshooting bobbin thread breakage on a professional embroidery machine only resolve the problem by changing the pre-wound as a last resort, I now change the bobbin way earlier in the process.

Hope you've resolved your problem already!

anita

origineel gepost door JoAnnHoffman

Could be bad prewound bobbin, maybe you need to put in new bobbin case if the other has a nick on it that you can't see. Wrong needle or not up all the way or turned a bit. Check for nick on needle plate around needle hole.

I'm already using the second bobbin.

I cleaned the bobbin case.

On the needle plate I found a little nick. I sandpapered it.

I used sandpaper 320. That is very fine sandpaper.

I don't know if that is the correct sandpaper. Otherwise I will go to our neighbour who is owner of a technical wholesaler.

I will try it tomorrow night.

And otherwise I will take the needle plate with me when I go to Claudia Pfeil coming weekend.

I will also try a new bobbin case and/or replace the needle.

Thank you both for your advise.

I slide So Fine under the metal flap on the bobbin case. I move it back and forth kind of like a sawing motion. When you slide it to the tip of the flap all sorts of lint comes out. Once that lint is there you have a real hard time adjusting your tension because it won't tighten like it use to. Turn you bobbin sideways and look under the flap you can see an opening to slide your thread under to clean it.

Originally posted by JoAnnHoffman

Once that lint is there you have a real hard time adjusting your tension because it won't tighten like it use to.

And if you have lint under that finger, it can cause intermittent tension issues - it catches the bobbin thread as it leaves the bobbin case and grabs it, then lets go. Result is NOT pretty! You can use thread, as JoAnn mentioned, or you can slide a stiff card (like a business card or index card) under that finger. Some quilters use pins - I know I did at first - but when someone mentioned that a pin could scratch under that finger, causing more problems than it solves, I stopped doing that!;)

Archived