New to the board

Good Morning and Hello everyone. My name is Robin and I am a wife and mother in Ohio. I've been machine quilting for about 8 yrs, started out on a lil Grace and just this year moved up to an Millennium. Wow, what a difference. My goal is to work out of my home and quilt for others. So far, I have 2 customers and have sold a few quilts/ t-shirt quilts etc. I am so thankful for this board due to being alone alot and needing advice and there is always a topic hitting the subject. Would love to read how some of you felt when beginning your business. Fear, doubt, wondering if I made the right decision. All I can say is I love quilting and if I put everything else aside I know its my passion. I don't expect to become rich just want to contribute to my family since they are my first priority. If any of you have any advice about this slow time Please, I'm all ears. I guess Practice Practice.

Thanks

Robin

Welcome to the forum Robin. I can say when I started I was lucky in that I didn't go into this to have a big business and for it to be my main income so there was no pressure on me. My business built up slowly and now I have a waiting list and I'd actually be ok if it slowed down a little. I work full-time so it is difficult to keep up with customers. As for ideas on building your business you could consider a few things to get your name out there. I offered reduced pricing while I was learning so that I could try different techniques but it was a win/win for me and my customer. On my invoices I always put the total it would have been with a good discount. Another option is to run a meander special. Quilt any quilt top up to such and such a size with a large meander for $100. Others have done that and gotten lots of quilts and keep a few customers. You could even keep that as an on going special if you wanted to just to keep consistent cash coming in. I showed quilts at guild every month and before too long I had lots and lots of inquiries. Good luck with your new adventure and you are right to put your family first.:)

Robin,

I am newbie to this group also, but you have a question and the people here are all over it with some very good suggestions. And the wait for replies is very short.

Any problems that you experience seems to have been covered by one or two or more of these knowledgeable people. They also celebrate the good things with you.

Sandra

Welcome Robin and Sandra. This is a great place to be when it comes to quilting, having people listen to you when you need to vent or sharing your happy times. There is an endless wealth of knowledge here and everyone is willing to share. I don't know where I would be without this forum.

Hi Robin and all I can say it that this is a wonderful place to learn! I have had my machine almost a year now and my forum friends have been great confidence builders as well as being there to answer any question that I have had. I do freehand so am always a little apprehensive as I get ready to do a job but once I start, I am okay...lol I live in a very small town and while there are plenty of quilters in neighboring towns, I am as busy I want. Although I advertised in the beginning, most of my quilts come from friends and friends of friends...lots of repeat customers. My advice would be to practice practice practice on white board, take deep breath, and do it...lol Oh, I have a Freedom and love it! Good luck and remember to post pictures as that is one way for us all to learn!!!

Welcome Robin! I don't have a business yet but am working towards that goal. I have several stores that will let me leave business cards and I was thinking about posting a flyer on the market community bulletin boards. Joining a guild is a good idea and be sure to take things for show and tell that you've quilted. Good luck to you!

Welcome to you both, Robin and Sandra, the forum is a huge resource and we'll be there to help you along the way.

No question is too trivial to ask, it's often the little things that have us stumped until we get some advice or a different point of view.

Building your business slowly is a great way to go and always remember that even though you may doubt your work sometimes and we are always our own worst critic, the person you are quilting for, can't quilt at all, so you will always have their appreciation.

Try not to let horror story customers faze you, fortunately they are few and far between, one of my favourite things to do is watch my clients face when I reveal the quilt, it makes all the time and trouble taken so worthwhile.

Welcome Robin and Sandra. You will love this forum - any problem you experience, someone probably has already experienced it and is willing to share how they solved it. I've learned so much here and don't know what I would have done without this group

Good luck with your business - it will grow. I started slow too, but soon friends of friends came, and then friends of friends of friends, etc. It will happen!

I'm just started taking n business on May 31st so it's very fresh in my mind. I bought my machine in November with no longarm experience prior and I remember thinking I could get up and running and maybe get some Christmas business....Ha!!! Yeah that was very naive. It took me several months to understand loading, squaring and tension. I started out working on charity quilts from my guild and that was a really smart thing to do for me as it gave me a chance to practice, and less pressure. I did that for months util I got my first customer. That first customer quilt made me very nervous and I hadn't been nervous for quite a while, but now I'm starting to really get in a groove and feel more comfortable although it seems there is a new situation that I haven't yet faced with every quilt. I am starting off with only edge to edge as that is what I am comfortable with, and I wouldn't mind staying that way. There are a lot of piecers in my area that just want that. So I have had 8 quilts in my first month of business. I do have to say that how much I thought i would make per quilt isn't really turning out to be reality and I hope I get a lot faster as my hourly wage is also not what I expected, but I'm learning a lot and I love doing it. Best of luck!

Archived