Need Tips for useing the Tsukineko Inks

Judy Coates Perez has a blog called Painted Threads and has lots of info about these inks.

All instructions I've seen say use on dry fabric to keep it from bleeding and wet for a watercolor effect. Thicken with aloe vera to make it stay put.

Thanks to all of you! It's funny that I forgot about Patti, we were in a guild together in Kansas. It has been two years since I moved from there, but she is so nice I'm ashamed I didn't think to contact her! I'll get to Wal Mart today for the aloe vera gel and I'll let you know how that works for me.

Just as an update. My blocks for the painted Baltimore Album are completed. I did them with plain old fabric paints and I do love how they turned out. But, I'm always looking for new art mediums to try. I'll be peicing my Baltimore Album over the next few days and hope to get it on the frame soon.

I used these for quilts when I taught. I bought dyers muslin, as suggested, so there wasn't a lot of running. But everytime you use them, they must be heat set. So if you use red, heat set it. If not it will bleed into the next color.

Hi all, the inking is going better, something of a learning curve here. I did discover an interesting little trick. I'd had problems with my detail pens bleeding, so with a brain flash, I decided to just coat my design in the aloe gel and let it dry. I came back this morning to ink in a detailed area with just the clear, dryed gel on it and guess what. It didn't bleed!! Yeah!!! I'm still having difficulty getting the sharp detail I want with the Tsukineko Inks. Like I said, a bit of a learning curve.

The fabric does feel nice and soft after the ink application. I'm looking forward to finishing up this piece and compairing it to the fabric paint ones I did. News at 11:00!

I have the hardest time posting photos!

The very dark flower is how the ink went on without the aloe vera gel, not good. I got the gel and started to use it with all the rest. Please note the sharp pen lines at the lower left corner of this scan. This is the area I inked with a pen over the dryed aloe vera gel. Nice and sharp, no bleeding.

I'm still not to happy with the blue feather wreath. The edge is rough, I may have to use a mask to get that as sharp as I want. The butterfly is pretty good. Practice makes perfect and it's evident I need a lot more practice with this medium!

Archived