NQR weight loss

Annie I've been at a stand still weight wise for 1 1/2 weeks now and while it is frustrating I'm not going ot let it beat me! LOL I'm doing my workouts and trying to find foods that are tasty but low fat, sugar, carbs and high in vegetables. If I have to eat cardboard I would never make it. I've been really watching my portions too. I'm hoping that scale moves soon or I may just have to throw it out the window! I do feel the difference in my clothes though so I'm concentrating on that for now.

Bonnie all really great ideas for adding in exercise! I need to start walking the stairs up to my office, 5 flights. I make it to the 7th floor and I want to stop. LOL I am on the 8th floor and we come in on the 3rd floor. Going down is easy.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heidi, a lot of times, the "stand still" or "plateau" is water weight retention. Just hang in there... it will drop off soon and you will see several pounds gone one morning. In the mean time, stay clear of food with lots of salt of sodium and drink lots of water (minimum 1/2 gallon per day) add some lemon if you need to spruce up the water a bit. Anyway hang in there...

Okay, girls, I have been reading your posts and thought it was time for me to start paying attention to what I am eating.....glad to report here today that in the last week I have gained one and half pounds!!!!! Oh, brother!!!!

My new Wheat Belly book arrived Thursday night and I'm on chapter 5. I can't believe all of the medical problems associated with with eating wheat. I have almost all of the symptoms they mention in the book. As soon as I get to the diet part I'm ready to start. I think I will feel so much better. They say most people lost 27.5 pounds in the first 6 months of a wheat free diet. If that was combined with exercise could I lose even more? I'm hoping I don't go through the withdrawals they talk about. I'll let you know if I do. Meanwhile, I have to keep reading. lol

Thanks Shana that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm still not drinking coffee so 1 month coffee free which is amazing for me. I drink probably 120 oz of water min a day! LOL I do salt my food but I have low blood pressure and it helps with that a little. I don't generally retain fluids. I think it is just because I lost so much the first 3 weeks and now I just need to break through the plateau.

Ok ladies, I am gonna jump in here out of the blue. I lost 12 lbs last month and did not diet at all. Here is how you too can take off weight the easy way:

1. Have your male friend of 1.5 years cheat on you for a couple of months then dump you at 10:30 at night as you are taking care of your dying father.

2. Have your super close friend disappear into the woodwork.

3. Your dad dies and you take care of everything from services to paperwork to Mom to....well you get it.

4. Have your brother and sister tell you they are burying you along with your dad on the day of the service (this is AFTER you spent the last 4 weeks at his bedside and held him while you were all alone as he breathed his last breath) (which is why they said what they said , they were jealous I was there (????) WTH

5. See last part of #3

6. Miss the Moxie meeting at the beach.

Meanwhile, I am LMAO and just going with it. There is a lot more but really, what can I do but laugh? There you are, my sure fire weight loss plan.

Oh Nancy Jo I think I'll spend my time sweating at the gym! I'm so sorry you have had such a time of it. I so understand the whole sibling thing. Remember my glorious brother told me he hoped I died before my mother and then said he wanted me dead now. Yup that was as my mother was laying on the stretcher in the ER with a broken hip and arm. Why, what did I do to deserve that? Well she had the police call me first to tell me that she was hit by the car. Mind you I live 10 min. from where she was hit and he lives over an hour away! Then lets fast forward to open heart surgery and he didn't come to the hospital for 5 days, why? Because me and my other brother were there and if he couldn't be the one in charge he wasn't coming. Frankly I don't care about him at all any more. I have no desire to have somebody so mean and hateful in my life.

Hang in there and take care of yourself. I'm sure hope things turn around for you.

Oh Heidi, I am doing ok considering. I have been an "only child" for so long, the final separation was nothing. As for the jerk, well I was going to end it anyway but at least I didn't cheat. Just another jerk. I didn't even shed a tear. Not for my brother or sister either.

I am re-reading Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud. It is an amazing eye-opening book. I have reached out to make some new friends. I have re-connected with my awesome therapist. I know my dad loved me and I am the one he wanted at his side those last days. That's because I built a relationship with him and my mom. I chose to love them regardless of anything else that was going on. He knew that.

So there you are. It caused weight loss, which is actually kind of nice. I understand what you mean about mean and hateful so let's focus on the positive. Life really is good if we look for it. I laughed today as I spent 6 hours rolling around under my jetskis (on a furniture dolly) trying to get river scum off the skis while keeping the acid cleaning stuff out of my face, hair, skin, etc. . And yes, I did it! THey are sparkly clean. I was a horrible mess when I was done, but I fixed myself a tiny little steak, green salad and mini glass of wine to celebrate. Now I can hear the band from our community's annual street dance so I am going. See???? Life is good. Maybe soon some quilting. Wahooooooo

Originally posted by Linda S

Heidi - I can't eat refined carbs (too much insulin and hypoglycemia), and this probably wouldn't be a very pliable dough to make a fold-over type pastry, but when I want a tart or fruit pie, I use almond meal for the crust. Yes, I do use butter. It's a fat, but it's natural and I don't eat it very often. Almonds are a lot better for you than flour.

I use the pillsbury pie shell from the store, but I was thinking either rice or almond flour would be great. Will try that next. I don't use artificial sweetners, dietician said it is better to use less of the real thing. Will let you know how the rice/almond flour works out.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Thanks Shana that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm still not drinking coffee so 1 month coffee free which is amazing for me. I drink probably 120 oz of water min a day! LOL I do salt my food but I have low blood pressure and it helps with that a little. I don't generally retain fluids. I think it is just because I lost so much the first 3 weeks and now I just need to break through the plateau.

Heidi et. all

Add 15 mins of activity to to your work out in intervals and higher incline etc. see if that doesn't speed your matabolism and help with the plateau. Make sure you are eating 6 min. meals to help keep the matabolisum up.

Originally posted by nineva

.......I was a horrible mess when I was done, but I fixed myself a tiny little steak, green salad and mini glass of wine to celebrate. Now I can hear the band from our community's annual street dance so I am going. See???? Life is good. Maybe soon some quilting. Wahooooooo

I love you, Nancy Jo...

Nancy Jo, I feel your pain. Not a great way to lose weight though. I went through a similar situation with my Dad, but I gained weight! My so called brother just hid out in Minnesota where he lives and never helped one bit. I have pretty much disowned him and decided he wasn't worth the stress and worry any more. He'll show up again when the time comes to get any inheritance our Mom leaves when she is gone..........GRRRRR!!!!!:mad:

Oh my....you mean I am not alone? Wow. I am so sorry.

I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at. ~Maya Angelou

Now back to weight loss....:D:D:D:D I admire all of you that work out. I hate it. I love to ride bikes, hike, etc. But working out? Please no!

Oh my....you mean I am not alone? Wow. I am so sorry.

I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at. ~Maya Angelou

Now back to weight loss....:D:D:D:D I admire all of you that work out. I hate it. I love to ride bikes, hike, etc. But working out? Please no!

It seems the "disappearing" brother or sister is not that unusual........many people I talk to have had the same problem. Why is that, I wonder? In the beginning I tried to keep my brother up to date on everything with Mom, then decided he really didn't care, so I stopped telling him anything at all. I figure if he wants to know something, he can contact me..........guess what? Not a peep from him.

Trying to keep on track with the weight loss journey. This is a hard week. I will be out at our County Fair taking my turn at manning the quilt show building almost every day. Not a lot of "good" food choices out there, but I will be OK. I may need to pack my own meals some of the time. There is a church tent that serves the loose meat beefburgers, so those are OK. Just have to skip their homemade pie !!!!! :P

Nancy Jo, blessings to you!!! You must be a tough cookie to be able to get through all this. I have seen you and you didn't have 12 pounds to lose! I have my fingers crossed that love will find you again and take very good care of you! The brothers and sisters, well, we just never know what they are thinking, do we? You hold on to the good thoughts that you were there for your dad when he and the family needed you!

Nancy Jo, it's amazing how many of us there are out here...I lost 10 pounds one winter because of similar circumstances involving family. All I can say is that life goes on...and I refuse to be negative and wallow in self pity. I vowed to keep my faith in God and walk in His way. It's been seven years or more and I'm stronger than I was then. Trials have a way of making us or breaking us. Sounds like you are overcoming yours and doing well. "Atta Girl!":D

Note: Those 10 pounds came back so I don't endorse it as a weight-loss method...I wouldn't wish that on anyone!:(

I have my Weight Watchers meeting this morning and hope to see the numbers go down a bit. Tough week to deal with. Our county fair is this week and I will be out there 4 out of 7 days. Lots of "good" food out there..........not good in a healthy sense though.......haha Still VERY HOT here and no relief in site. That doesn't help because I just don't feel like cooking or eating much and that can be as bad as eating too much.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back to the top...how is everyone doing? I am on Day 15 of my Whole30 and doing great. You can read about the Whole30 here: http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

It has been challenging but so good for me both physically and mentally. I survived a camping trip and Halleigh's birthday party without falling off the wagon. One of the things with the program is to ditch the scale so I haven't weighed myself. But I can tell the difference in how I feel and how my clothes are fitting. My trainer, Raul, took my weight and measurements at the beginning of the program. He will do them again when I finish. It will be interesting to see the results.

One thing I have learned about myself is how mentally determined I can be. I am also finding out I am very competitive, which I never realized before.

How about it, how are you doing with your own challenge?

Guest Linda S

Lisa - thanks for bringing this back up. I'm struggling here, as I had to stop taking the medication the endocrinologist gave me, as it was causing severe depression. It was designed to curb my cravings for carbohydrates, since hypoglycemia really accentuates those cravings, and I'm having trouble with that now, only knowing that they will make me sick is a bonus (sick, I know). I think putting the scale away is a good idea. We get possessed by those numbers, and we can certainly tell when our clothes are getting looser. Good luck on your program!

It's been horribly hot here lately, which I shouldn't complain about, since the rest of you have most likely been roasting all summer long. It has put a damper on the walks with the dog -- I toss the ball for him in the backyard instead -- which is great exercise for the dog, but for me, not so much! Have to be satisfied with dancing around while the IQ is quilting! We're supposed to get a break from the heat this weekend, so the pup and I will be able to get out of the house again.

In one year, actually not that long, I went from size 6, to Xlarge and some XXlarge. 112# to 165# It was very depressing for a while. Most of the weight was medicine induced. We gradually went back to less meat, broiled it when we could, and lots of vegies and fruits. Not much starch.

Now I'm down from 147.5# to 136# in 5 or 6 weeks, and that was without trying. spend 8 days in the hosp. with COPD then in 6 days have cervical surgery and then get released one day, be at home another day then the next I ended up in Emergency, mostly with COPD. While in the hospital, I was told I had diabetis, then high blood pressure, then pneumonia, and then dangerously low white blood cells. there is one more problem I forget what it is. When taken off the bp meds, the diabetis meds, the pneumonia was cleared up and a routine for the low white cells set, and I was feeling good, and felt more like walking the circle on the hospital foor, my appetite returned and not for more fat things or sweet things. I can't exercise because of skeletal conditions, can't walk because of lungs, back, etc.

To reduce portions was rather messy for a few days. to find out how much I ate, I had to put a normal serving on my plate of each food. the icky part was taking away a full portion of whatever the food was, leaving half what was a normal serving, and what I felt was an empty plate. With just the two of us, I find now and then that I'm taking a larger portion than I should, so put a little back. I still don't have much of an appetite, but do try to eat a variety of foods that are good.

I am feeling good except for the situation that is plaguing me now.

Prayers for all of you. Talk yourselves out of being hungry.

I just admire those of you have faced your situations, who are able to get a good eating plan and stick with it. I've tried a couple which didn't work, so just resorted to good foods and smaller portions.

God Bless and Prayers.

Archived