Latest costumer quilt

I will try to post a picture of my lastest customer quilt and the design that I plan on using. Would like some input if you think this will be too busy.... It is rather large 97 x84 with a pieced backing that if I load it top to bottom, the seam will be vertical. I prefer my seams to be horizontal. I consider myself a rule breaker....can't I just give the whole thing a 1/4 turn on the frame and quilt it sideways? Thank you for looking and any suggestions that you might have.

post--13461908813116_thumb.jpg

Stitching path ...I always remember it by

Roof and outside walls, come into to do the floors and inside walls of the first floor then drop down to the second floor leaving you one path to get back to the roof.

It sound better when I show it on paper!

Tried it on paper but I had to add an extra line in the sqaure corners to make the whole path in one go.

I always load the quilt so the length is on the roller and that usually puts the seam horizontal...it also seems to go a lot faster for me if I am doing four rows of five blocks rather than five rows of four....mental, I know.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

I load quilts sideways quite often. Just take into mind your quilting design...you need to turn it also.

not this design - when i look at it and it doesn't matter.

what am i missing????

I often load sideways, the only thing to bear in mind is if you are doing directional stuff on applique, like quilting grass or trees sideways instead of up and down, it's not difficult and like Della, I prefer the option of length across the machine, it goes much quicker it seems.

I'm still getting stuck:-( I can do simple terry twists with a swirl in the middle of the block, but I can't negotiate this one. I'll keep trying, but if there is anyone who can show the path on top of this diagram, I'd really appreciate seeing it. In any case thank you for your suggestions

Buttonflower

Originally posted by Buttonflower

I'm still getting stuck:-( I can do simple terry twists with a swirl in the middle of the block, but I can't negotiate this one. I'll keep trying, but if there is anyone who can show the path on top of this diagram, I'd really appreciate seeing it. In any case thank you for your suggestions

Buttonflower

After trying to trace this I realized that the outside blocks with the flourish are the problem area which make this not continuous. Each block getting CC's needs to have a design that covers the whole block and hits each intersection. This block has an entry point and a different exit point--not continuous--only two lines of the TT's can be stitched in each corner. A possible remedy is two added CC's in that goose block going from the outside corners and meeting at the "beak". Then the whole thing can be stitched in one pass.;)

I appreciate all for taking the time to share your comments. I am not seasoned enough to think that I could do this in one path, so for me too stop and start but keep the same design element was my goal this time. My dry erase board is my best evening companion at times! These are 12 inch blocks, I thought it was time to live on the edge and try something challenging! thanks again.

Hi Julie--I was trying to help Buttonflower see a way to stitch it in one pass.

I love your sketched design and think it will be brilliant! My favorite is the design you drew in the background of the geese block--the leafy/hook design. That will be gorgeous stitched!

Archived