Customer or scam?

Just received this email, and seems like I have heard of a similar one. Does this sound like a scam?

"I received a machine quilted quilt as a Christmas gift and it inspired me to search for a company that may have that capability. I have pieced together a blanket that I would like to have quilt stitched in this fashion. It this something your business provides to customers? Please let me know.....at this phone number."

What do you folks think??

It has all the red flags, using the word "blanket" instead of "quilt", received as Christmas gift, this is July, etc.

Originally posted by WestieMom

This sounds almost word for word a message that another forum member received. Best to avoid this one!

I thought I remembered hearing this same posting almost verbatim, that is why I posted. I'm definitely not responding! Guess this is like the $$millions in inheritance I have coming to me from the Nigerians. Don't these folks have better things to do with their time??:(:(

Quite a few years ago now I got a call (collect) from a prison inmate in northern MI. (Don't ask me why I accepted the collect call!!! Just had a moment of weakness --or stupidity I guess. I didn't have my longarm, so maybe I was bored!!) Anyway he wanted to send me a 'check' he was receiving for some insurance settlement and I'd deposit it then send cash to some account for him. He said, Don't you want to help me keep the gov't from taxing this money? Well, no actually I don't want to help you avoid the taxes!!! Then he said he wasn't in prison for any "bad" thing. Oh really? Why are you in prison? Selling drugs (of course he had a much better twist on the crime) I told him I had teenagers and what if one of my kids had got those drugs? We had quite a debate until my DH started to hear the conversation and reminded me that we were paying for the collect call!!! I decided I'd played with this guy enough but it was kind of fun to hear him spin his tale. I called a friend in the Michigan State police and they said that inmates do that all the time. What else do they have to do with their time? His name was fake so no way to track him.

Originally posted by Deb2bie

Quite a few years ago now I got a call (collect) from a prison inmate in northern MI. (Don't ask me why I accepted the collect call!!! Just had a moment of weakness --or stupidity I guess. I didn't have my longarm, so maybe I was bored!!) Anyway he wanted to send me a 'check' he was receiving for some insurance settlement and I'd deposit it then send cash to some account for him. He said, Don't you want to help me keep the gov't from taxing this money? Well, no actually I don't want to help you avoid the taxes!!! Then he said he wasn't in prison for any "bad" thing. Oh really? Why are you in prison? Selling drugs (of course he had a much better twist on the crime) I told him I had teenagers and what if one of my kids had got those drugs? We had quite a debate until my DH started to hear the conversation and reminded me that we were paying for the collect call!!! I decided I'd played with this guy enough but it was kind of fun to hear him spin his tale. I called a friend in the Michigan State police and they said that inmates do that all the time. What else do they have to do with their time? His name was fake so no way to track him.

Debbie, I used to work in a correctional facility as an officer and then supervisor. Before the new facility was put in, and therefore, a more secure phone system, inmates could dial there own calls once a week at specific times. Because we posted that calls are always subject to monitoring at any time, we were able to do so if we suspected issues. I noticed that one inmate's calling pattern seems odd and drawn out, so I started actively monitoring his calls. The schiester would call a friend, who then put him on hold while the person the inmate called would dial a third (completely uninvolved and unsuspecting) person as a collect call, initiating a type of conference call scam. Number two and number three visited as a normal collect call, then #2 said goodbye to #3 and number 3 (unsuspecting victim) hung up. Mind you, #3 never knew that the inmate, #1, was on the line just to keep it open. The first two would then have an open line from on the third callers line, and the inmate would continue making calls off the unsuspecting victim's line. It was a scam that left the innocent third person paying for the calls. This evidence was used to prosecute the inmate and accomplice, and there had been numerous of these calls costing hundreds of dollars on the victim. After this experience, I've always told people NEVER accept collect calls from someone you wouldn't give your physically beating heart to! Thank goodness most everyone has cell phones to use in case of an emergency now.

Marci, That is so very interesting!!! I never would have thought I might be playing into his hand by talking with him!!! We look at our bills and reconcile them so I know we didn't have any more problems involving that guy. Lke I said, I guess they don't have anything else to do but think up stupid ways to hurt others!! I'm glad there are correction officers that are paying attention and that you got this guy!!!

Archived