Help with wash-away thread!!!

I used Marathon Wash-a-Way on some trapunto in the bobbin with a cotton thread on top. I have been soaking this quilt for about 20 hours and the thread is not dissolving! I tried calling them but no answer...

After I realized it's not dissolving properly, I drained the washtub and filled it back up with pretty warm, not hot, water. Still no luck. Now I have it agitating on gentle (also not something I wanted to do) and I am at my wits end. I have to get this quilt bound and shipped by Friday and am about to cry.....

Any suggestions? ANYONE???

I just talked to the thread "expert" at Marathon, and sadly all I got was suggestions on how to avoid this in the future ie: wash away thread top and bottom. She said that when the thread is sandwiched in poly batting layers that it does not dissolve all that well. Isn't that what trapunto is? Ugh! No help at all. So, I sit here with a wet quilt on my lap, ripping all the cotton thread off the top.......

No more Marathon Wash-a-Way for me...

Oh dear, that sounds awful. I'm sorry this happened and can imagine your frustration. I use the washaway thread on top and a regular thread in the bobbin, and I've only used the Superior brand. I wish I could help you with this. The only thing I can think to do is squish it as you soak it. But, you've soaked it a long time so I don't know if that would even help. I'm so sorry. :(

Jess

This is sure a bad situation for you!!! Thank you so much for sharing Caron. Not only can we try to make you feel better but we can all avoid this problemin our futures. This forum is so great to learn from!!! Good luck getting it looking the way you want so you can ship!!

Guest Linda S

Oh MAN!!! That would honk me off really badly. I've been using Fil-Tec's wash-away, it's called Perish. Not only does it disappear well, but it goes in cold water!! No more worrying about the fight between the blue pen marks and the wash away thread.

I was considering trying some Marathon thread, but they came out with a different kind and when someone asked, they couldn't explain the difference. When a thread company can't tell you about their thread, it sort of sends up warning bells to me. Not going there. Nuh-uh.

So sorry this happened to you Caron!

So, I ripped all the top thread, and with a few wisps of the dissolvable thread still there, I re-soaked thinking well at least it's exposed now and will wash away...NOT! Now I have crunchy little bits of thread poking out and will have to use tweezers to get them out. Will post pics when bound....

Archived