Confused, what do you do??????

I always match my bobbin thread to my top thread regardless of backing color. I feel this gives the most satisfactory stitch appearance. Recently I have had several return customers insist on bobbin color that matches the backing and another who complained because it did not.

So am I wrong? What do you do? Opinions please!

hi Ardelle,

I usually try to match the bobbin thread to the color of the backing. I rarely use the same color in the bobbin as on the top. I know I have read on the forum where quilters usually match the top and bobbin threads but rarely are the top and backing the same color. it does take some adjustment with the tension to have the threads nice and even without lots of " porkies" but I find this is not usually a big problem,just requires some fine tuning. I am also interested I. What others say.

cheers,:P

I would make sure the customer knows which thread you are planning to use on both the top and the back. If they insist on different color thread, let them know that you don't recommend any high-contrast combinations for various reasons, which all pertain to the final appearance of both the top and the backer. Go into as much detail as you like without confusing the customer. Remind them as well that bobbin thread that contrasts with the backer gives them a reversible quilt!

Interesting question--I don't remember anyone complaining about this but I've had more than one complain that they can't see the quilting on the back!

Just to add--I use BottomLine pre-wounds ( I think seven or so different colors) almost exclusively. I choose a tone that works with the backer first of all. And it might not match the back but will blend the best. Maybe with a big rose print on the back I might use taupe or even dark gray. And that bobbin color needs to work with the top thread as well. The two might not be an exact match but the must play together nicely. No black and white or light gray and red. If it's a bright quilt with bright top thread and a bright backer, I will use self-wound bobbins using the top thread.

I have always matched the colour of the thread to the fabric colour. It is what my customers expect. Yes, it is a bit fussy getting the tension correct at the beginning, but once done, tension is good for the rests of the quilt. It is rare that the colours for both top and bottom are the same. And Yes - normally they are high contrast colours. White and Navy, deep Red and Yellow, you name it I have had it. If following Dawn's most wonderful and super instructions, a few tries and all is well.

I have one particular customer who always uses a cream or white backing - always. And she wants white thread. The beauty with my Millie, and basically all APQS machines, is that we have good tension and we can do this. Just a bit of practice and a little patience is required.

I am yet waiting for a really bright backer with a bright top, that I can use the same thread colour on! Maybe one Day? ;):D

Ardelle, I generally use a bobbin color thread that goes best with the backing fabric (it could be either similar thread color, or a contrasting thread color that looks nice with the backing fabric).

Most times, I do not match same color thread top and bottom. When using different color threads top and bottom, most times I do not have tension problems (e.g thread showing through) You should try using different color threads in top and bottom. Your machine stitches beautifully and you can adjust to get the knot to lock in the layers so you don't have the pokies. What I do is I thread my top and thru the needle and pull thread and watch the tensioner spring and when it is hitting between 7PM and 8PM on the clock that is pretty good. I keep my bobbin tension so it drops slow and steady like a spider on a web. If I get top thread pokies on bottom I make a very slight 1/4 turn tighten on top. That's my process and what I do, anyway.

I've always used Bottom Line and I wind my own.

Give it a go.

I also usually match the color of the backing thread to the backing unless they specifically ask for a certain color. Although, the winter wonderland quilt I just did has a red flannel backing and I started out with red thread on back and white on front but kept seeing little red pokies on the front and was trying hard to not get white pokies on the back and no matter what I did - it just would not cooperate...so I called her, explained what was going on and asked if she minded if I used white thread on the back so there would be no chance of red pokies on the front of the quilt (I was even using QD wool batting for the thickness) and she said gosh no - she loves to see the quilting on the back so white it was!

I usually have my threads be similar in color/shade, but not necessarily the exact same thread. I am too afraid of using highly contrasting thread in case there are any tension issues when going from right to left, or down to up on the diagonal (from the front of the machine).

When I do my intake we discuss thread colors, so there is no surprise when they get their quilt back.

Ardelle, I always match my bobbin thread to the backing, unless the customer specifically asks for something else. I wind my own bobbins using Bottom Line almost exclusively, and a variety of top threads (So Fine, Rainbows, Highlights, Omni, Superior Silk, etc.) Very soon after getting my Millie I did a lot of "tension trials" using a Towa bobbin gauge and a Tajima top thread gauge. As a newbie, these experiments gave me tension numbers that I knew should produce good stitches. I gently tweak as needed if a particular thread combo seems to be causing issues, but with every new quilt I always go back to the starting point established by my tension trials.

Guest Linda S

I generally match the thread to the backing, except when I have a dark back and then have areas on the front where there are light fabrics that will need a dense background fill. I will change to a light bobbin for those areas, because I don't want to chance that a quick tight turn might cause a small bit of dark bobbin to appear near the top. This generally does not happen, but I don't want to spend my time picking out dense, tiny stitches if I should happen to throw and odd stitch.

Archived