THE STASH

In June my quilting quild had a contest for the best story about the stash we have. I asked my husband for his help and he replied that he would just like do it himself as he had some ideas for it. His story was a big hit and thought I would share it here on the forum.

The Stash --- A Husband’s Perspective

My wife comes home from work and says: Honey I’m going to build a log cabin with fat quarters and there will be flying geese and grandmas flower garden and lone stars. So I’m thinking to myself this is awesome we’re going to buy a lake home with large rooms, we’ll have a garden like my mothers and listen to nature under the stars, and then she drops the bomb shell and says and all I need is more fabric. MORE FABRIC you got to be kidding me!!! Let me explain we live in an older 2-story home and when you come in the front entry there is a closet and you would expect that’s where we would hang coats and hats, but no it’s just a place to store material. Also on the main floor is a bedroom converted into a sewing room with a closet also. Not only will you find stash in this room but the closet has shelves of fabric but in order to get to it you must first pull out the shelving in the middle that is on wheels which gets pulled out, I’ll give you just one guess what’s on those racks!!! Moving onward we proceed upstairs to a long wide hallway with bookshelves on each side and as tall as the ceiling. Here you will find batiks, civil war reproductions, 30’s, Christmas, Halloween, Easter, patriotic, flannels, florals, baby, and children’s fabric plus all the stuff I forget or no longer can see. Like most older homes we have walk-in closets, well that’s sort of a lie because you no longer can walk into them. One must be careful when opening those doors as the piles of quilting projects may come crashing down on top of you. I contacted the TV show Hoarders but they said our home didn’t qualify stating that we have to be unable to walk through any room in the house not just the closets, so be patient this episode will air eventually!!

Last year I came up with this terrific idea, I’ll buy my wife a APQS longarm quilting machine and slowly her stash will fade away. Oh my God what was I thinking, now that she has this machine she figures she can do twice as much and therefore needs TWICE as much fabric. Not only do I have to contend with all the stash but do you know how many accessories they make for these quilting machines it’s endless. Should have gone with plan B and bought her some historical building and she could have started her own quilt store, heck she already has the inventory and we could have emptied our house. The problem of course would have been finding a large enough facility.

When my wife and I go on a mini vacation or away for a weekend we head to cities and towns with antique and quilt stores. And the reason I said buy her a historic building is that I find the most interesting quilt stores are those that were once a bank, railroad station, or general store just to name a few. What is scary however is when the staff call my wife by name when she walks into any quilt store in the upper Midwest, not only that but they get this glow of excitement and a smile on their face. One can hardly blame them I guess because they know that sales will now be up for the month!!!

Last of all I’m thinking once my wife reads this I will be single again so if any of you quilting ladies are interested in a relationship send me an email and yes photos of my half of the fabric stash will be available upon request!!!

HAPPY QUILTING!!!

What a MAN!!! This should be sent to some of the quilting magazines for their story section. He has such a wonderful attitude to all this.

I am sure my DH feels the same. We are planning a vacation in Oct. to see the "Autume Colors" in the north east. While we are planning "all his activities" he is worried about what will I do - Well that is catch - all his activities are near the Quilt Shops in the area. What till I spring my activities "QUILT SHOP STOPS" into the picture.:P:D:D:P:D:P

:P:P:P:P:P:P Husbands, gotta love 'em! Especially when they are so supportive. Seriously though, thanks for sharing this because my husband thinks I have a STASH and it don't fill near as many spaces as yours! Sounds like I have some catching up to do!:P:P:P:P:P

I will share this with my hubby. When we are traveling he is the one driving and I wake up from a nap when I feel the car change directions. Every time it has been to turn into a quilt shop that he has seen the building or the sign for. Good men are hard to find, I'm not giving this one up. Now if the tourist bureaus of communities would realize that they need to advertize the quilt shops right along side the hunting, fishing, snow sports and waterfalls we ladies would have it made!

My husband is great, too. We have started doing a little traveling, and he always puts "quilts" in the GPS. Doesn't mind to drive a few miles off the beaten path and generally the trip ends with something like this "I kinda like that, just go ahead and get it". I now have a whole collection of stuff that falls under the category of "vacation quilts" on my UFO list. Gotta love that man!

Would your husband be interested in "training" my husband...mine is not quite so understanding of the "stash" thing nor does he see any reason to stop at a quilt shop while traveling. (I do believe he would rather visit the dr office than a quilt shop). Our vehicle does seem to make a great deal of side tracks to any farm equipment dealership we may be near...

My wonderful husband tells me to Buy More Fabric; and I say What? I sold my quilt shop 15 years ago(and never stopped buying) and still have a huge wall of fabric that needs to be sewn, plus old pattern cabinets full and then there's 10 or 12 totes full of more wool and garment or industrial types of fabrics! I am trying to curb buying fabric because I like it and buy it if I NEED it! He 's not helping, LOL! He is a wood worker so he understands my stash because he has his own stash of wood! We are now building him a 40 x 50 shop and I will open up my current sewing studio into his old wood shop over doubling my space! Boy, what a win, win! I'm hanging onto this Man!

My husband gets upset when I get fabric in the mail. To get around this I send most to my friends house :P

When I bought my apqs, he really wanted a new car.

He always asks how many 'blankets' am I going to make and doesn't understand why my art quilts can' t be used on camping trips.

I should read this to him! Thanks for sharing!!

Loved the story--I am going to share it with a couple of fabric stashers. My husband laughed while reading it too.

Aren't husbands great!!! Mine is supportive in all ways of quilting but doesn't know I am hoping to equal some of your stashes some day!!!

Archived