SOLVED! FRUSTRATED - bobbin issues still

I may be repeating what everyone else has said but...

Have you tried a different thread path on top? Go through a different hole in the middle thread guide, weave a different pattern in the guide above the tension?

What thread are you using on top? Try a different one?

Prewound bobbin? Wind your own and see what happens? Not prewound, try one.

Really odd question: Is your studio super warm? I once had to rip out an entire bobbin's worth of stitching due to train tracks because it was so blasted hot in my yurt.

If all else fails, call Amy!

:o

Tonilyn,

Railroad tracks are the direct result of the bobbin thread winning the tug of war combined with needle flex. Of course, other factors contribute, but try these steps:

Use at least a 4.0 needle. I missed your first post that must have mentioned what thread you are using, butif it is thick like King Tut then go up to a 4.5.

Next loosen the bobbincase tension until there is almost NO tension on it. Then tighten the top tension. Keep tightening until you can nearly pull the bobbin thread to the top. If the top thread starts to break, change the thread path on the 3-hole guide. Try skipping one or two holes but use the last one for sure. You can try "weaving" the thread through the 3-hole guide instead of wrapping it around and around to take some pre-tension off the thread.

Slow down when quilting right to left on the freehand side to let the needle catch up. Set the stitch length a little shorter.

Keep us posted!

Guest Linda S

I have never been able to use SuperBobs. I'd get train tracks like that all the time and gopher guts too. I'd try totally re-threading on the top. Is your quilt sandwich too tight?

i am going to throw another thought in the mix....try another bobbin case. i had one get dropped and it is no longer usable. i only mention this because i didn't throw it away...and tonight I grabbed it by mistake...and ended up with railroad tracks on the back of my quilt also. I couldn't figure out why...until i changed the case out for another.

One bobbin thread I used on Lenni without any problems will not run on Freedom at all. I can't remember the thread but I have boxed it up to use on my domestic. When I wind my own or use my SuperBobs or Glide prewounds I get those perfect stitches. Sometimes some machines act just like people, quirky!:D:cool:;)

Talked to Jim at APQS regarding a different issue and he may have solved the loop & RR track issues.

One of my pigtails had a burr. I will replace that later today. As I said the fish are in!

Attached a pic of what a real catch looks like!

Enjoy

post--13461908915561_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Yeah!! Since you love fishing, consider replacing your pigtails with fishing line guides - see the post from earlier this week.

I received my order from Cabela's today and have the guides on the machine. I just used a small strip of the silver duck tape to attach them. Since there is no pressure on them, it doesn't take much to hold them. Even the ones with the screws to hold them. I just taped the little flange of the "eye" right to the spots. Works great. I kept the screws in a safe place just in case. ;)

Hey Tonilyn, glad your tension headache is going away. :)

That's a nice bunch of fishies you've got there! Reds? Andre & I are plannng a trip to Valdez end of August for some kayaking to Shoup Glacier and fish for Silvers - they should be thick that time of year... (and maybe try for some halibut). One of these days we must get down to the Kenai again. It's been too long. We have a piece of property on the Kenai River near Moose River. Maybe next summer!

I'm having the same issue with railroad tracks on the bobbin side, only when stitching from right to left (on the freehand side) on those parts of the panto, the rest of the stitches look pretty so I can't tighten the top tension any more.....

Using a 4.0 needle, superbob prewound, and Superior SoFine on the top....

I'm slowing down but still no luck - what should I try next??

thanks!!

Kim

Kim,

I know you are not wanting to tighten the top tension more, but you may need to do that in conjunction to loosening the bobbin even more. The railroad tracks are caused by needle flex. To combat that, looser bobbin tension helps. If you have a larger needle, switch to that, and also try increasing your stitches per inch. The shorter distance between stitches helps reduce flex. You already tried one key...slowing down. Also, try loosening the tension on the fabric itself. If the fabric is really taut, directional tension issues are magnified.

Keep us posted!

Guest Linda S

Annie - What I call gopher guts are the big splotches of thread that sort of get "barfed-up" onto the back of your quilt when you hit a sharp point or tight curve, and your bobbin continues to spin at high speed while you and your machine slow down to negotiate the point or the curve. They often look like little birds' nests or what would happen if you happened to run over a gopher -- at any rate, they are not pleasant!! I used to get these when using prewounds all the time and steadfastly wound my own bobbins until I used my first magnetic bobbin from Fil-Tec. It was love at first use. I don't think I've wound a bobbin since.

Thanks for the quick reply Dawn!! and on a sunday no less :)

I've been working and making some progress, I'm working with cotton fabric and quilter's dream batting. The back fabric is purple and customer picked ivory thread so any imperfections are very noticable - and pokies are appearing. This one is a challenge for sure and my monday is dedicated to fixing it!

Originally posted by Linda S

Annie - What I call gopher guts are the big splotches of thread that sort of get "barfed-up" onto the back of your quilt when you hit a sharp point or tight curve, and your bobbin continues to spin at high speed while you and your machine slow down to negotiate the point or the curve. They often look like little birds' nests or what would happen if you happened to run over a gopher -- at any rate, they are not pleasant!! I used to get these when using prewounds all the time and steadfastly wound my own bobbins until I used my first magnetic bobbin from Fil-Tec. It was love at first use. I don't think I've wound a bobbin since.

Thanks Linda. Now I know exactly what you are talking about. Yes of course I"ve had them too. "gopher guts", though, that's funny:P:P

Archived