backing too small for community quilt

Okay, I'm venturing off sample quilt pieces and venturing onto community (charity) quilts for my quilt guild. Picked up my first one the other day. The top isn't that inspiring (but what the heck, it's my first true quilting experience), but I looked at the provided backing and it was a mess!

By the time I squared it up, there was bearly 1.5" on either side for the quilt top. Rather than contact the coordinator, I think I might add temporary muslin borders to extend it and allow me to attach it to my leaders. Am I on the right track or is there something else I need to consider? Thanks in advance for your sage advice!!

Sharon

Sharon, that's what I did with the last quilt I unloaded. It was just too short.

When I don't have enough room to hook my clamps to the sides of the fabric (and I learned that the Circle Lord stylus can interfere when you have short backings on the sides!), I have an 18 inch square of practice quilting that I can pin to the backing fabric sides. What I do is lay the piece of fabric on top of the quilt top, line it up with the edge of the backing fabric and pin the backing to the square of fabric. Then flip it over and out towards the ends of the frame and clamp your clamps onto it. As you advance the quilt, you will have to unpin those sides and advance and re-pin. But at least it works. This is a tip I learned from Sharon Schambers.

Thanks for your quick response Kris!

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter I'm going to try to load the quilt and backing as I have it, wish me luck!

i should say...just start the top as close to the top edge as possible...and center it on the backer. if there is a wide border on the quilt...it can be trimmed after quilting if need be.

I stitch fabric to the top and bottom, and/or the sides, too. I use whatever scraps I have around and just stitch it on using my domestic machine, then I load it on my frame. When the quilt comes off (if it is my quilt) I just use my rotary cutter to trim the quilt to size and then I reuse the scrap fabric for the next time I am short the extra inches.

If it is a customer's quilt I leave it on and explain to them why it is there. Because, should there be a next time, I will charge for the fabric and my time.

Archived