Are swirl pantos harder than others?

I've done a bit of panto-ing but I thought I'd try a swirl one. The swirls curves are about 1/2" apart and it is pretty dense. Now, I can't really do good freehand swirls on my own, but they are looking particularly wonky when using the panto.

I'm also trying to panto from the front using the QuiltCam but I don't think that is the problem. Do you find swirls pantos harder than freehanding big swirls?? Is that why most seem to freehand it??? Or is this just a PPP issue....LOL...

Make sure your table is as level as it possibly can be, and try increasing your speed - that always helps with me... the larger the swirl the harder to keep smooth. I have not tried from the front before though, I would imagine it to be much harder..

• 7 months later...

Yup, long curves are what I find most difficult.

I hardly ever use them, but here's a bit of advice that I found very helpful.

Don't look where the laser light is on the panto, instead look a couple of inches ahead of it on the line.

Somehow, this smoothes out your curves.

It did for me, anyway.

Vicheaton, what is a Quilt Cam, I'm searchin for it now, b/c I've never heard of it, and I'm quite interested in doin my pantos from the front of my machine, then if the thread breaks I'd see it:)

QuiltCam has a camera attached to a bracket at the back and a viewing screen attached to the top of the machine. If you're comfortable stitching pantos this is a great add-on. 

http://www.rns-design.com

Listed under "Online Store"

See if you can try out quilt cam before you decide to buy. I tried the Innova version at a show and had a hard time with it. I am very comfortable doing panto with a laser from the back, but when I switched to trying to follow the dot on a computer screen I felt like I was all over the place. Probably would get better with practice but I was surprised at how out of control it felt for me.

Archived