Hi, I just finished my first big panto with my new Quilt Cam and I loved the entire process after my friend Becky and I figured a couple of things out. I thought I would post what we learned so that when everyone buys their camera it may help. I haved learned tons from this forum but haven't posted much. The camera monitor is only 7 inches and so on a regular panto you may have 10 to 12 inches of design. When you position your panto on the table after you have loaded the quilt make sure that your new camera is centered on the panto. I alway draw a center line on my panto along with a top and bottom line. After the first row all you have to do is put your needle in the down position on the top most position of your last row of stitching, roll the machine and watch your monitor. When your laser light is postition on the top of the panto where it shows your last stitching was then you are good to go and the laser light should be in the center of your panto. I usually still do a quick check across my quilt to make sure that my panto is lined up correctly but doing it this way means that you never have to go to the back of your machine! If the panto is not centered on your camera at the get go then you will have a much harder time following your panto because sometimes you can't see enough of the pattern in the montor. I'll bet you know how i know this!

Thanks for posting this info, as my quilt cam is in the mail. Since I have to crawl under the frame to get to the backside, I really want to get this all figured out. I have a stack of charity quilts, so I can try out quite a few pantos if I don't want to do them freehand. If anyone else has experience with quilt cam, please speak up. I'm a little worried about getting it hooked up properly.

Buttonflower

I just quilted my first panto with the quilt cam but I didn't have to center anything on the panto. I spoke with Ron and the camera has a radius of only a few inches so you don't see that much of the panto...and I didn't see a way to adjust the camera height so I could see more of the panto. That was kind of weird because at certain times I wasn't quite sure what was coming...I did adjust the laser light so that it was in the center of the screen (maybe that is what you meant??).

What I found to be weird was the curve on the lens...it was sort of like looking through a bubble for me. It took a while to adjust to the distortion around the edge of the screen. I began to wonder if I was actually seeing the panto correctly so I had someone watch from the back and they said that I was nailing it correctly...but it was odd to me. Like I would see what was coming on the edge, overcompensate for a big turn, and when it actually ended up in the center of the screen it wasn't that big of a curve so I would overshoot it. Hard to explain....

I'd be curious if anyone else notices the "bubble" or if it is just me??? But after quilting a 64" x 72" quilt with a dense swirl panto I got better....And it was nice to notice when I ran out of bobbin thread after a few inches instead of doing the whole row!!

I absolutely love the panto cam, I've done quite a few quilts with it already and have not had mine over a month yet. There is a small distortion at the edges of the screen, but for me it does not affect me while tracing. I noticed it the first few quilts but now I don't even see it.

Because the laser light is mounted straight down, I found if I line up the bottom line of the panto exactly three inches from the edge of the back table everything works perfectly as far as lining up goes. This means I begin with the quilt fairly close to the back roller. I have found I am much faster using the PantoCam than I was working from the rear of the machine. I can sit on my saddle chair and roll along as I stitch. I can advance the quilt using the cam and once I have lined everything up correctly, I only go to the back when finished to unpin the quilt.

One thing I had to get used to was not being able to look too far ahead, that is where the distortion came into play for me, actually I find I am much more accurate now than before when doing pantos from the rear of the machine. I am so amazed at how much faster the PantoCam let's me go. I must have spent a lot of time running back and forth to check the quilting, now I just look down at the top.

• 4 weeks later...

I just completed my first quilt with the QuiltCam this past week and WOW, I love it! This quilt still took me a while as it was about 108 x 96 and a dense feathery panto, but it went much faster that it would have if I had done it from the back. And I was able to alternate standing up and sitting down, which was a great relief for my back and shoulders. Took no time at all before I realized I was hitting the lazer right on the line most of the time and moving along rather quickly. For those of you who have decided against or can't afford a computer system, the QuiltCam by RandS is worth every penny and more! Not an advertisement, just a very, very satisfied customer!

I Have just ordered my Quiltcam and can't wait for it to arrive! My new Circle lord boards are also on their way. I have been away from quilting for the summer and I am just getting back in the "groove".I have missed the forum and hope to start posting pictures and being a more active participant. Thanks for all your help and the great information shared.

Originally posted by Shar Schmutz

I absolutely love the panto cam, I've done quite a few quilts with it already and have not had mine over a month yet. There is a small distortion at the edges of the screen, but for me it does not affect me while tracing. I noticed it the first few quilts but now I don't even see it.

Because the laser light is mounted straight down, I found if I line up the bottom line of the panto exactly three inches from the edge of the back table everything works perfectly as far as lining up goes. This means I begin with the quilt fairly close to the back roller. I have found I am much faster using the PantoCam than I was working from the rear of the machine. I can sit on my saddle chair and roll along as I stitch. I can advance the quilt using the cam and once I have lined everything up correctly, I only go to the back when finished to unpin the quilt.

One thing I had to get used to was not being able to look too far ahead, that is where the distortion came into play for me, actually I find I am much more accurate now than before when doing pantos from the rear of the machine. I am so amazed at how much faster the PantoCam let's me go. I must have spent a lot of time running back and forth to check the quilting, now I just look down at the top.

I agree with Shar, I, too have had mine less than a month, and have already done two quilts with it. I am so much faster using it on the pantos and more accurate. I set mine up as she describes, and have no problem getting the design in and lining it up. Very easy to set up, I would recommend it to anyone who does a lot of work from the back of the machine and would like to get to the front:)