Feeling the drag

Hi all

Wonder if you an help me with this.

I'm feeling quite a bit of drag while quilting. It doesn't happen the entire way and seems to be in the same areas. Any ideas of what I should look for or how to remedy this? Not nice when my so called rounded designs are square!

Thanks

this happened to me, it was my power cord dragging.

i rigged it up so that it plugs into a power strip under the table and that fixed the problem.

i think ti could also mean that your table isn't level.

it could also be that your wheels are bad. i got the m&m wheels and i love them.

I know how frustrating that can be!

Look for anything obstructing the machine's path. I found several instances where power cords got hung up. Make sure the cords that are secured to the machine in different places have enough slack to allow movement in all directions. Stand at the back of the machine and watch the cords while you move the machine through all of its reaches, front to back and side to side.

Check the wheels and wheel path for stray threads and batting fuzz. The smallest things can make a big difference.

If need be, have a second pair of eyes come watch from the back of the machine while you sew from the front, so you can tell them when you feel it.

You will figure it out.

:)

Bonnie,

If it's always in the same place, left to right, it sounds like either the power cord (as mentioned above) or maybe the table - check that your rails are still parallel - measure edge to edge at several spots. If the nuts on the crosspieces have worked loose, your rails could be a little wider at that spot, binding your wheels. Also check that your table hasn't "dipped" or "crowned," causing a low spot or high spot that is giving you problems.

I had this problem and my Dad helped me last week...we raised the dead bar (the one inside the throat). I read that you should be able to slip your hand in up to the 2nd knuckle if it is at the right height?? He also took my needle plate and polished it to an almost chrome state. And he beveled the edges a bit more-- he comes from a family of metal workers and so I just let him go with it. There is no drag on that anymore (LOL)....He also didn't like the little screw that comes up behind the needle plate and it was all I could do to keep him from removing it and replacing it...he is convinced it also causes drag. I'm more convinced that I need lots of PPP.....

I also had a few small dings in my rails (my machine was used heavily I believe before I got it....) so I used really fine, fine sandpaper to smooth out the rails...and I tweaked the wheels. Turns out that they were too loose--didn't realize that could happen. I got super angry and tightened them up just to see how bad it could get and it actually got better....

These things improved it by 90%....but my left side is harder to quilt on than the right. And we have done all the leveling, measuring and checking suggested. I guess it just isn't perfect....Or more likely, I'm not ... Good luck!

Ok all

Thanks for your suggestions. The table has been leveled, power cords checked out fine, no visible threads around wheels. Wheels adjusted (may need to be checked again however) Question now is....

How can I tell if edge rider wheels are worn out? I'm meticulous about cleaning them along with the rails.

Maybe I'm fishing for a reason to get m & m wheels....need to justify spending the $$$

Bonnie when I traveled to test run my machine it was a bit difficult to manuver the machine for pantos but otherwise the machine glided fantastic to me ,I also test run a second machine the same night ,it was just a hair bit easier but the same thing when it came to pantos ,well ,new to all this I manage to damage the wheels on its trip home with me in the back of a u-haul but I had planned on upgrading the wheels anyway just happened sooner than later which is a good thing because pantos are a breeze now with the m&m wheels ,you will wish you had done it sooner ,yessss its way worth the $$$ ,go for it ,there is a world of differance in how it glides !!!

Bonnie, I was having the same problem and had checked all of the obvious things...I thought. I had thread wrapped around a wheel on the inside of the frame so it wasn't so obvious. Another time, while having the same issue, I discovered that one of our dogs was laying on the power cord under the machine! Too funny. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I used a flashlight to check for threads around the wheel. Nothing.

I kinda knew the responses I'd get about the m & m wheels...;)

Just so frustrating to not have fixed the problem. Hubby helping me. Cannot feel the drag when not quilting. Only during quilting.

Thanks!

do you need to raise the leveler bar and front bar? maybe you are feeling drag because of the quilt sitting right on top of the machine? with a quilt loaded...you should be able to put your hand under the leveler bar up to the second set of knuckles on your hand. make sure that the leveler bar and front bar are level to each other.

Originally posted by bonbon

Cannot feel the drag when not quilting. Only during quilting.

Thanks!

I assume you are using the Stitch regulator? What do you have it set at? the lower it is, the less times per inch the machine fires a stitch. This in itself can cause drag. Try increasing the SPI and see it that helps.

Update...... Ordered M&M wheels and my very DH spent this morning installing them.

I'm certain this is the solution to "feeling the drag", at least this time. Rails are leveled out too. Thanks to you all for your helpful ideas. I'm learning all the time.

:P

Archived