NQR: What a drought we are experiencing!

Here is a picture of a creek that is up here in NE Iowa. It runs about a mile further south of where I took the picture into a larger river here. We've only had 2 1/4" of rain here at our farm in the last 15 weeks - this is why there's no flow. Now we're hearing about fish kills in other creeks and rivers from the low water and the high water temps. Pray for rain!

That looks familiar, Marci. We are in central Iowa. We did get 1 1/2" of rain on Saturday, but that is the first rain of any kind in many, many weeks. Our pond is down a good 2'. Some of the corn fields around look like they should in October - just before harvest............all brown and dry. Even with the 1 1/2" of rain, you can hardly tell we had anything. Still big cracks in the ground.

A gal from just south of us about 20 miles sent in a picture to the news last week showing how deep a crack was in the field - 7 feet! My sister (who lives in Naples FL) and I were joking about the weather. She said the end was near since they had hail. I told her I wasn't sure, but since it was hot as hell here, it might have already happened.

Linda, I drove to down to Clinton this past week and was shocked to see what looked like an empty pond. I had to turn around and look again. Yep, dry as a bone! And I saw another one after that - I've not seen it like this before. And we have neighbors on our gravel road who have sandier soil and/or over limestone who have already chopped their brown corn for silage to get at least something out of it. There were no ears set so not much nutritional value but will at least be something to help. Here on our farm we set a little higher than land around us, and we've watched many a rains go around us. So far, because our soil is black loam, our corn hasn't started dying off, but if we don't get some rain very soon it is inevitable.

On a happier note, though, I had been watering our garden earlier, but we then quit because when our neighbor had to dig a deeper well when theirs dropped too low to maintain any pressure (that is not something we wanted to happen here). We must have watered at the right time, and quit when it least mattered, though, because when I checked the sweetcorn yesterday we have full ears ready! Now I'm scrambling to get rid of a lot of it as well as freeze a bunch. It wouldn't be such a scramble except I gave up on the corn and expected nothing..... and was very pleasantly surprised!

Here in NW Missouri, they are mowing corn for hay!!! Never heard of that before, bit it's too dry even for silage. We haven't moved our yard since early June and it sounds like snow crunching under your feet as you walk across. Some of the farmers are selling cattle because they can't afford to feed them. Hay has gone from $50 a bale to $80 in the last few weeks. It's kinda scary really.

Ready for fall here too!! I've never heard of corn hay but I can imagine farmers doing anything creative to help defray the cost of feeding due to all this. I've heard about guys selling out their cattle herds, and two of our friends have given up on milking cows, this was basically the last straw for them hanging in there. Our new growth hay isn't growing, so we don't know if we'll have to replant next year and change our rotation; whichever, it will surely be a loss to us. We depend on selling a lot of hay as second income. Well, I should not complain as we do have our health, and we are farming by choice. But fall can't get here soon enough!!

I'm ready for fall as well! Sure hope you get some rain soon! We have finally started to get some rain here on the island. All summer it has rained all around us. We had a great storm yesterday and had rain in the ditches!!! Maybe about 2 inches. It was wonderful and it cooled it off too! Got you in my prayers for some good rain!!!

Originally posted by whitepinesquilter

Julie, someday I am going to experience your 'flip side' - a daughter and her DH took a vacation down there for a couple weeks and loved it. Not sure who would go with me, though, as my DH believes the whole world is here on our farm.. hehe!

That must be an Iowa farmer thing. They lock the gates to the county if they leave it and they might not get back in!

Very dry here too. Some fields of corn did not pollinate at all. They look pretty good from the road, but go into the field and there are no ears.

One advantage, we may be done harvesting by the time AQS is in DSM and I might actually be able to go this year. No extra cash to spend, but I could still look.

Originally posted by whitepinesquilter

Julie, someday I am going to experience your 'flip side' - a daughter and her DH took a vacation down there for a couple weeks and loved it. Not sure who would go with me, though, as my DH believes the whole world is here on our farm.. hehe!

That would be awesome Marci if you got to visit 'Down Under'! When you do, please let us know so your 'Aussie' forum family members can connect with you, if your tourist plans can sqeeze it in!! :D:)

Archived