singer featherweight

I have started to research Singer Featherweights. I am looking to buy one. Those of you who have one were they really dirty and grungy when you got it? How hard is it to clean and get the machines to sew well? I have been checking on ebay. Is that a good place to buy one. I did check a little on the internet and found a couple of places that sell them. I am not afraid to buy on ebay. The cleaning and oiling them is the part I wonder about. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

I purchased my featherweight from a couple who do a lot of antiquing. The gentleman is a retired mechanic type who loves restoring featherweights. My 1937 works beautifully. I had the hubby re-wire the plug and foot petal because the wiring was chaffed and I wanted a grounded plug. Cost was minimal and took about an hour. Maintenance is easier than most, not too many moving parts.

I bought my Featherweight through Ebay. It was in excellent condition but before I used it I took it into our local machine repair guy to have him check it out. That cost me about $100. It has been running like a dream ever since! I absolutely love it.

Guest Linda S

I got one from ebay also. It's a fabulous little machine, is in excellent condition, and sews like silk. No need to buy one that is all beat up and falling apart.

I bought mine off e-bay ,one little screw on the bottom removes cover to oil and clean the gears if needed its so simple ,then theres a plate on the top I loosen a screw to slide a plate to oil then loosen the left side plate to oil ,same maintance as any other machine ,the stitches are fantastic and easy tension adjustments ,go for it ,I paid 300 but was not concerned with cosmetics

I got a 1938 beauty on Ebay for little $$ that sews like a dream. The gal communicated with me the whole way and even was willing to follow some simple packing instructions that I sent her from http://www.april1930s.com/html/packandship.html and also asked her to remove the light bulb.

If you purchase and have it shipped from anywhere, be sure to contact the seller before purchase and ask that they pack it properly.

I have bought way too many machine on ebay and had them shipped to Australia from England and the USA. Only one case arrived damaged, thankfully none of the machines.

When buying on ebay make sure you research your seller thoroughly and that they have good lines of communication.

Many internet resources for Featherweights. I do all my own servicing on them, very easily done with the handbook.

My dad found mine at an estate sale. It had been in an attic for over 20 years. I was able to take a class from my local quilt shop on tuning up your featherweight and it cleaned up beautifully. It makes the most beautiful straight stitch and is great to take to classes.

My 1953 came out from the UK, very mouldy but a day in the sunshine all in pieces and a good clean and wipe down with WD40 and she's a sweet machine, sews beautifully now.

Initially had a problem when the capacitor blew and cooked the wiring, fortunately enough left uncooked to be able to reconnect the motor and light ok, apparently, with age, the capacitor fails, some of the FWs have them, some don"t, it was to stop interference with radios and TVs, ask for a photo of the underneath with the bottom plate removed, if you can see a cylinder about the size of a small lipstick case, to the left of centre with wiring that leads over to the right where the motor connects in, either dodge that one or have your machine mechanic remove the capacitor and wiring before you try it out, it's not neccessary and will work just fine without it, modern day appliances are already shielded against interference.

Happy hunting!

I have 8 Singer Featherweights, 3 are 222 freearms. The one Susan has sounds like a good price. I service all my machines I enjoy setting them out about once a year and going over them. It's rather easy if you purchase the Featherweight book.

My mother takes hers to sewing classes because it is so much lighter.

Happy sewing

Kathalynn

Hi Gail,

If you want an interesting shopping experience (for anything), Even Singer Featherweights---

Go to "Google"---Type in Singer Featherweight 221 in the search browser. Then let Google do a search---But, here is the interesting part. At the first search page, look over on the far Left, click on the option named "Shopping"

Singer Featherweight 221's ---of every price and description will appear! Don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of each Google page and click on "next"---page after page of Singer Featherweights will appear that are for sale.

Have fun Shopping!

You may try "Sandy's Fabulous Featherweights", They specialize in singer featherweights sewing machines, parts & accessories. Sandy Kollmann, St. Cloud, MN 320-253-2638. My Hubby surprised me with on that he purchased on E-bay, but before I used it he wanted them to check it over. We did & much to my surprise it was only missing some little tiny screw. They are a wonderful people & would go back to them at any time. They have had machines at the St. Cloud, Heritage quilt shows in the past. (which I think isn't till next year). Good luck you will love it.

I got mine from a friend who was moving and getting a divorce. She decided she wasn't sewing anymore. It was not in good shape.

I found a quilt shop that was having a class on featherweight maintenance and it was the best class I ever took. We tore the whole machine apart, greased it, cleaned it and put it all back together. Very simple and easy to do. He even had parts available if needed. You might be able to find some in your area that will teach that.

Archived