Ideas for Quilting on Applique Tshirt Memory Quilt

This is a large throw 52"x68" that my cousin made in memory of her daughter who passed away at 16 in a car accident. The blocks are cotton with t-shirt cutouts machine stitched on top of them. At first she said she didn't want any stitching on top of them but then thought it would be ok if it helped keep the quilt in good condition through washings. She wants a stars and stripes design with a vertical alignment.

I have an idea for ribbon stitching into a star then back to ribbon, etc, etc, in rows. Do you see any problems with straight rows of, say, 4" wide, or of what width? I asked her if I could do custom on it to highlight her daughters picture and signature, etc., but she said just to go around them into the design but nothing more fancier. I guess my question is really how wide should I do the rows as this top isn't really accurate in piecing and alignment and I don't want that to be emphasized too much.

Thanks for any ideas!

It is such a wonderful and heart-felt remembrance of this young girl.

Sometimes a customer has a vision in their head of how they want a project to be finished. And sometimes their vision is not the best for something that will be used instead of displayed. I suggest that you should try convince the customer that those blanket-stitched pieces of treasured T-shirts will need to have the edges stitched down if they want this treasure to last more than a few years, and especially through a few washings. You didn't say if the pieces have been stabilized, and if not, then nailing them down would be the first order of business. With careful and discreet stitching that will only add texture, the pieces will need some quilting throughout to hold them to the backing fabric. The focus is on the pieces and not the backing fabric, so I think a change in design to stitching all around each piece and a venture into outlining whatever is printed on the pieces will work nicely. If she wants stars and ribbons, those can be freehanded in the sashings and background.

Just my opinion, of course. But this one needs to last to comfort the family and it won't last unless it's quilted with a thought to the techniques that will preserve it.

I love the way she put that together in the attic window form! Great idea. I've quilted t-shirt quilts using invisible thread and it doesn't distort or take away from the design at all. Usually those t-shirt parts are too large to leave unquilted and they will poof out.

Marcie, what a nice quilt! I have only done three T-shirt quilts and I did a simple puzzle piece meander over the whole thing. That is what the customer wanted and I have to say that that fit the quilts pretty good. Gave nice texture and did not take away from the shirt or quilt designs. I would not quilt over her face but everything else would be quiltd. Good luck!! Post finished quilt!

Marci,

I second Linda's very tactful comments. For the quilt to survive a long time - those appliqued shirt pieces have got to be stitched down. You can do this without distracting from the shirts. Stars and ribbons in the background and borders - random and freehanded so as not to draw attention to any imperfections in quilting. The shirts and picture are the stars of this quilt; the purpose of quilting it is to keep the memories safe and stable for the family. Do post when you finish.

Honestly, I would be praying and/or crying the entire I time I quilted this one. Prayers for the family and for the child who has gone before . . .

Lynn

Thanks, all, for your input. They lost their daughter 6 years ago and it has taken this long to even put these together. It was a devastating accident to the whole family. So, yes, I want to make sure this is done beautifully in a manner that preserves the integrity of the shirts and her mom's quilt top.

Do you think using clear poly in the tshirts would hold up to washing and drying? I wanted to do outline stitching, etc, in the shirts and hope I can convince her to let me. I'm going to go visit with her again and bring a drawing of my thoughts for stitching. I just wondered what my forum pals thought, and you guys are with me on this one. So,,, thank you!! I appreciate it.

Linda, This one is going to their son to use, and he will surely use it. The first one she made is used alot by the family in the livingroom, and the next one I have to do is for their youngest daughter. So, yes, they will be used, and I want to make sure they are tacked down well. The first one was done before I got my long arm, and that quilter did do some light custom as a surprise to the family. Hopefully she will let me. I'll let you know and post pics when done. I am so slow with quilting right now because of my arm, but I will get it on here.

Archived