When standing behind machine you should start on the right side. When I am working with a 2 row panto, I work down starting on the right, reach the end and travel up to the 2nd row and work from left to right. I know my machine and don't experience needle flex and my stitches look just as pretty both directions. I work this way with both pantos and my CL boards, which I love. You just need to try what works for you.;)

Right to left from the panto side is what APQS recommends due to the above-mentioned needle flex. Plus you can see what's ahead on the panto--don't know if that's a plus or not!;)

As for starting freehand at the left from the front side--well, yes---except I start down a bit and inside a bit. I find that until I find my rhythm and settle on a size for freehand shapes (which takes about a two-foot width of quilting field for me) that "down and inside" spot works better than top left corner, where booboos and wobbles are more noticeable. That's just me, of course!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Right to left from the panto side is what APQS recommends due to the above-mentioned needle flex. Plus you can see what's ahead on the panto--don't know if that's a plus or not!;)

As for starting freehand at the left from the front side--well, yes---except I start down a bit and inside a bit. I find that until I find my rhythm and settle on a size for freehand shapes (which takes about a two-foot width of quilting field for me) that "down and inside" spot works better than top left corner, where booboos and wobbles are more noticeable. That's just me, of course!

That's a great idea!

Originally posted by susanramey

When standing behind machine you should start on the right side. When I am working with a 2 row panto, I work down starting on the right, reach the end and travel up to the 2nd row and work from left to right. I know my machine and don't experience needle flex and my stitches look just as pretty both directions. I work this way with both pantos and my CL boards, which I love. You just need to try what works for you.;)

Yup that is what I do too.