Hydrolic Lifts

I use mine all the time.

Linda - my surgeon has forbidden me to try to touch my toes - used to be able to put my hands flat on the floor. Yes - he encourages me to stretch and make sure I stay very flexible but as to touching my toes - NO. He does not want undue stress on my fusions. I go as far as my ankles and that is ok with him.

I was able to get my frame to go even lower using the hydraulic lift. If you look at the table legs they have a screw in bolt with the round feet underneath. Since the lift fits under the table legs I removed the long screws (silver in Vickie's pic) and was able to get my whole table two inches lower.

A lot better for this vertically challenged quilter.

My hydraulics look similar to the picture Vicki posted. For the first two years of having my frame, I would notice that it would get itself out of level regularly (I don't have an APQS frame). Finally, after nearly two years, it was diagnosed that one of my hydraulics may have been leaking a little bit of air, causing my frame to become unlevel. When this would happen, it was harder than the dickens to steer through pantos and I would re-level the table.

A couple of months ago I called the company to ask again what might be causing my table to become unlevel so often. Luckily, this time I spoke to someone different and he told me it could be the hydraulics, if I hadn't been using them regularly, which I hadn't at that time. He had me lower the frame completely to the ground and then raise it to where I wanted it. This easily solves the problem but I am wondering if anyone out there with hydraulics had this happen to them, too?

Guest Linda S

Marlene - those hydraulic cylinders are kind of like a piston. When you push the button, the motor increases the pressure and the inner part (in the pic above, it's the skinny black part at the bottom) pushes the outer cylinder up and it raises the whole table. Very slick. I have pics of the installation on my table, but I don't think I have pics of varying heights. Maybe I could try doing that tomorrow. I'm in the middle of a huge custom quilt and it's kicking my butt.

Oh - as it so happens, you can see in this photo that the cylinder has lifted the table leg off the floor.

post--13461909039896_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I really appeciate all the feedback on this subject. I too have disc problems in my lower back and constantly fight with back pain. I just throught it was the price to pay for the job I chose. Reading about so many of you and how the hydraulic lift can make such a difference, I may have to start saving for one. I never had one and my dear hubby & I have manually changed the height a few times. It's not difficult to do but not fun, that's for sure. Thank you to everyone and the information that you posted!! :-)

Bonnie:

It would not be unusual for the table to "settle" some in one corner or another over a period of time. I simply run mine all the way down and then all the way back up and then to the position of comfort and stitch away. I have the lift on three different machines. Only one "settles" and needs some "exercising" every few days. This lift system is older than the other two but it only takes a moment to level it so I don't consider it a big deal. Even our large farm equipment with hydraulics will have this issue...

A suggestion for those who think their table is too high. When you install the lift system, simply shorten the legs on your table so that the machine sets lower than stock when the lift is all the way down. Just cut the legs off. I'd use my angle grinder with an abrasive blade, but a hack saw would work just as well. Jim

I missed this whole discussion back in August so sure glad Cheryl commented. I, too, struggle with the height issue with my older square leg table (too short when working with pantos and too high when working from the front). I've had two back surgeries already, and am facing AC joint surgery (joint between the clavical and part of the scapula), so either position at the table, at the wrong heights, causes a lot of pain which leads to terrible muscle spasms. I checked in to the cost of a new table and just cannot justify it. I showed this to my DH and bro - bro says he can modify for square legs, and I think DH quickly decided what my Christmas present is going to be! LOVE this forum, and LOVE my hubby!

Archived