Has anyone experienced this? (see photo) It happens to me on a fairly consistent basis with many different kinds of threads (always Superior however), needle sizes, bobbin types, and fabrics. Some quilts it won't happen at all on (or at least I haven't noticed it) and on some it will happen 6-8 times on one quilting pass. It usually happens on the bottom of the quilt, but have also seen it on the top. It's a knot which becomes a big loop of thread when I pull on it. I have been all through my machine with Service several times and after all sorts of tweaking nothing has fixed the problem. I try to keep everything lint free, have played with tension, going slow, not sure what to do next.

Ideas?

post--13461909037718_thumb.jpg

This happens to me every time with King Tut. Dawn advised a while ago to thread so there is no twist as the thread travels from cone to needle. At the three-hole guide above the tension assembly--go up the last hole, skip the middle, and down the third hole. Thicker threads (for me anyway) require a much tighter top tension than I use for thinner threads. Sewer's Aid helps tame the thread as well. Some people recommend turning the cone upside down as well to help un-twist the twist.

(To fix the loop/knot without re-stitching--pull the thread so the knot is loosened, take an old machine needle and insert about a half-inch away from the loop . Sweep the needle under the loop to catch the thread and push it into the batting with the needle. If the knot won't loosen, use a tiny crochet hook to pull it under the fabric.)

Go to the second thread under this post in "ask the experts" to view Dawn's advice for this same problem.

Hi again! That loop of loose thread on top can be attributed to a couple of culprits--lint under the finger of the bobbin case which causes the thread to catch just a bit, or sometimes too loose top tension (see above about tighter top tension with thick threads).

If you don't want to frog, take a needle and distribute the extra thread in both directions along the stitching line--maybe five stitches in either direction.

Gosh--I'm giving away all my secrets!!:P

Those slip knots are typically caused by thread twisting. Have you noticed if the thread tends to curl and twist around the tip of the needle when you stop in the up position, or that it "uncurls" after you clip it from the needle?

If so, that's what is happening. The thread is twisting as it passes through the thread guides and tensioner. Eventually there's just enough extra twist on the thread that it creates a slip knot on the back of the quilt as the hook takes the top thread around the bobbin.

Try changing the thread path to a "weaving" motion through the 3-hole guide instead of wrapping it around in the standard direction and see if that helps. :)

Dawn,

I'll watch for the things you suggested. I have tried the cone upside down to alleviate twisting thread but that never allowed the thread to run evenly, and have tried the weaving path through the thread guide before but will try it again as you and Linda have suggested. Hoping this will solve my issues!

Thank you

Archived