Need Ideas for Unusual Log Cabin

This is my next quilt job. The customer has restored an historic Victorian home, and made this quilt for her bed. It is all Jinny Beyer fabric. The block placements seem like it opens up opportunities for some nice secondary designs. Okay gals, start your creative engines and let me know what you see! TIA!

post--13461909040706_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

OOOOhhhhhh, its little eyes are crossed!

LOL...I just thought the same thing...right after I was admiring the pretty colors. They are definitely set in groups of four so maybe working separate design would be pretty.

Guest Linda S

I thought the same thing Sylvia and Oma. What an odd quilt. Very pretty colors though. I agree with Dory that you should probably find a design that incorporates the four blocks as a group. Or, you might just want to do an all-over design that is swirls or curves to give the quilt some movement.

Yes, this is an unusual quilt that's crying to be enhanced with some pretty stitching!

I would lean toward an intricate overall with enough density to overcome the "cross-eyed" effect of the block centers.

What thread(s) can you use to enhance this effort? What designs? Do you want to quilt it all in bright red thread? Or maybe a dusty-red? Or go all the way purple?

Actually, silver thread would be great on all of it. But is that Victorian enough? Maybe a dark gray/silver would work--thin like BottomLine or So Fine. And an intricate overall design like those meandering feathers--quick and forgiving. And Victorian! Or leaves and tendrils, very dense and scroll-y.

I wouldn't recommend placing a specific design in each block--but that's me. Unless you can figure a way to re-box the elements--like making a big circle with it's center on the intersection of the four blue outside logs. A big circle there would isolate the red square and the thin logs into a pinched triangle. That might be a cool design, but you still need to fill the circle and the pinched diamond that results from the circles. Can you visualize that? I give up--the quilt wins!

There-my brain is empty!:cool:

I have a panto called "Wave on Wave" which has some swirls and feathers and is somewhat dense (but not real dense). I did it on three quilts in the past month. The first time was on a small lap with very contemporary fabrics that I pieced to practice the new panto (will use as a donation), the second was on a ciustomer's 103" X 103" Civil War reproduction fabric sampler (it took a full 18 bobbins of So Fine) and the third was a customer's JoAnn's sampler - full bed size.

It is a really nice panto, if you want to consider it.

Ok. I saw the cross eyed thing to. Here's how to get rid of it.

Linda hit it on the head with circles.

Look at the group of 4 squares as one.

See the purpleish sashing that makes the plus down the middle of the 4.

Look at the center of that. Make a small circle.

Now look at the "plus again".,make another circle bigger than that that goes from the 4 corners of the teal fabric.

Look at the plus again, and make a bigger circle that goes from the 4 corners of the grey.

Look at the plus again, making a bigger circle that goes to the 4 corners of the light fabric.

Do another circle that touches the outside corners of the 4 red corners..

Keep doing this, until you've reached the outside of the "plus".

Now, in circles 2, 4, 6 & 8, fill in with different fills. ..or the same..fill.. ribbons..pearls...sawtooth...etc.

The design you have left on the fabric will leave you a perfect place to plop those victorian feather's in a BEAUTIFUL curved V shaped pattern!

• 1 month later...

Photo of Border. The border made the quilt, I thought. I used a Sherry Rogers-Harrison idea from a class I took with her a long time ago. Used my Quiltazoid for the echoed circles, then freehanded feathers.

One major thing I learned from this quilt. The customer foundation pieced it onto muslin. It was a bear to rip out mistakes, as the stitches were locked in tightly due to the three layers of fabric, plus batting.

post--134928951731_thumb.jpg

Archived