Ideas for this from your quilter's eyes!

The customer has said I can do anything I want to this. It would seem obvious to separate the two colors with feathers and ??? Something angular? Some form of alternate feather? Individual block treatments? I am stumped. It is a beautiful quilt but IMHO it can use some punch! I'm hoping you have some ideas for Sue's quilt. Thanks in advance!

I just did one that is similar. The construction is different. My customer's triangles were made from strips, and her sashing was bigger.

I put feathers in the dark triangles and ditched the light triangles. She wanted puffy, not dense quilting. I'm not recommended this necessarily for yours, just thought it might be helpful to see a different approach.

post--13461909090736_thumb.jpg

When analyzing the top, the light triangles combined with the light sashings make a natural pathway for a running design, like the feathers, as Kelly suggested. The issue is the pathway of dark triangles chopped by the same light sashings. That's hard to overcome.

Another option is to SID all the sashing strips (not my cup of tea but maybe necessary with this one) and drop the same design in each triangle, be it dark or light. The design can be mirrored at the seam between the light and dark triangles for symmetry and interest. If you start in one corner of a half-block you can place the design and exit the opposite corner to be set up to quilt back the other side. Lots of starts and stops, though. Perhaps try a triangle shaped feather plume, ferns, scrolls, really any organic design to offset the straight geometry of the piecing. An ornate design will jazz up the mottled grays--think about silver thread with an intricate scrolly design. Or even a thin dark gold to warm it up a bit. The unquilted sashing strips will then look like a lattice overlay, as Shirley pointed out.

Can't wait to see you work your magic!:)

Originally posted by CindyT

This is the same pattern from a few years back. I did the same thing in each block and used a panto for the borders. The picture only shows half the quilt. Don't know that I would quilt it the same today, but this gives you a different idea.

Thank you...You put SO many feathered wreaths on there...may have been doing them in your sleep too! It is the sashing strips that really stymie this one for me.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

When analyzing the top, the light triangles combined with the light sashings make a natural pathway for a running design, like the feathers, as Kelly suggested. The issue is the pathway of dark triangles chopped by the same light sashings. That's hard to overcome.

Another option is to SID all the sashing strips (not my cup of tea but maybe necessary with this one) and drop the same design in each triangle, be it dark or light. The design can be mirrored at the seam between the light and dark triangles for symmetry and interest. If you start in one corner of a half-block you can place the design and exit the opposite corner to be set up to quilt back the other side. Lots of starts and stops, though. Perhaps try a triangle shaped feather plume, ferns, scrolls, really any organic design to offset the straight geometry of the piecing. An ornate design will jazz up the mottled grays--think about silver thread with an intricate scrolly design. Or even a thin dark gold to warm it up a bit. The unquilted sashing strips will then look like a lattice overlay, as Shirley pointed out.

Can't wait to see you work your magic!:)

Ha...it will be some kind of magic for sure:)

Here's a couple of ideas, Charlotte. I like to do circles on the cornerstones. Rope would look great on the sashing. As far as giving it some punch, using threads that are in the same color family, but highly contrasting in value, would add interest and give it a hand stitched look, especially if thicker threads were used.

You could quilt random large and small circles on the background, and use a different fill texture and density, than the rest of the background. This would be another way to add interest, but stay in the same color family.

Archived