Oops, I hit an acrylic ruler

Most likely you hit your ruler with the edge of the needle bar and jammed it a little out of time. Take out your bobbin case and move the needle to its lowest position, using the flywheel. Take a flashlight and get down so you can look into your hook assembly straight on - you should just see the eye of the needle and the littlist bit of the shaft above the eye. If you can't see the top of the eye or the shaft, your needle bar has moved up ever so slightly. There's a section in your manual on adjusting the needle bar height - has great pictures and directions. Or call Amy!

First thing, check that your needle is inserted correctly. A backward needle will cause the resistance you describe.

Then, since you jammed the needle bar it's possible that it (the needle bar) needs to be checked so it's at the correct depth to make a stitch. Look in the manual and compare the photo in the timing section to your needle depth. Follow the directions to lower it to the proper depth. It's an easy fix and you'll feel more confident when you fix it yourself!

If that doesn't alleviate the problem, you may need to re-time but very seldom will a jam cause your machine to go out of time.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Looks like Barb and I were posting at the same time! Hi friend!

Great minds and all that!! And I hadn't even thought about the backwards needle thingy - always the first thing to check when you run into trouble right after changing a needle! I bow to the Quilting Queen, Madame Linda!!!;)

Originally posted by barbm

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Looks like Barb and I were posting at the same time! Hi friend!

Great minds and all that!! And I hadn't even thought about the backwards needle thingy - always the first thing to check when you run into trouble right after changing a needle! I bow to the Quilting Queen, Madame Linda!!!;)

No way, Barb! You know way more about our machines than I could ever hope to!!:)

Archived