Sign in to follow this  
redhotmama

Oops, I hit an acrylic ruler

I hit an acrylic ruler; did not break needle. Slight chip in ruler. I changed the needle, but it has trouble making a stitch. It hits some resistance before the needle comes back up, and makes a click noise. Oh dear. What should I do?

Most likely you hit your ruler with the edge of the needle bar and jammed it a little out of time. Take out your bobbin case and move the needle to its lowest position, using the flywheel. Take a flashlight and get down so you can look into your hook assembly straight on - you should just see the eye of the needle and the littlist bit of the shaft above the eye. If you can't see the top of the eye or the shaft, your needle bar has moved up ever so slightly. There's a section in your manual on adjusting the needle bar height - has great pictures and directions. Or call Amy!

314B4A28F5D2B9A393862864B500E102.png
Barbara Mayfield
APQS Sales Representative & Educator
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

APQS Northwest

1085 12th Ave. NW, Suite D2

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

First thing, check that your needle is inserted correctly. A backward needle will cause the resistance you describe.

Then, since you jammed the needle bar it's possible that it (the needle bar) needs to be checked so it's at the correct depth to make a stitch. Look in the manual and compare the photo in the timing section to your needle depth. Follow the directions to lower it to the proper depth. It's an easy fix and you'll feel more confident when you fix it yourself!

If that doesn't alleviate the problem, you may need to re-time but very seldom will a jam cause your machine to go out of time.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Looks like Barb and I were posting at the same time! Hi friend!

Great minds and all that!! And I hadn't even thought about the backwards needle thingy - always the first thing to check when you run into trouble right after changing a needle! I bow to the Quilting Queen, Madame Linda!!!;)

Barbara Mayfield
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

APQS Northwest

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

Originally posted by barbm

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Looks like Barb and I were posting at the same time! Hi friend!

Great minds and all that!! And I hadn't even thought about the backwards needle thingy - always the first thing to check when you run into trouble right after changing a needle! I bow to the Quilting Queen, Madame Linda!!!;)

No way, Barb! You know way more about our machines than I could ever hope to!!:)

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Ok, ladies, you rule! The needle was backwards, I turned it around and everything worked just great. What a huge relief. Someday I'll have to learn how to adjust the timing, but I sure don't have time for that today. Thank you all, so much.

You are now a part of the primary group of quilters: those who have put a needle in backwards. The secondary group is those quilters who will put a needle in backwards someday.;)

BTW, I am a proud part of the first group......

Barbara Mayfield
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

APQS Northwest

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

Originally posted by shellyf

Needle Magnet

My I suggest this product so you don't put the needle in backwards anymore. I'm not afiliated, just a happy customer. ;)

Well, THAT looks interesting ! It would help hold the needle while getting it in there too. Does it work well????

D7F6E8B831DDA5A10DA95B7BBCD5C9C7.png

APQS Millenium and Quiltazoid

I love my magnet. It sticks to the front of the needle so you never have to worry about putting it in backwards. My machine stitches better when it's at a slight angle. This ensures that I get it at that angle each time.

APQS Discovery w/IS & IQ.