It's too quiet...any news?

LauraSews

I don't have a George yet but love reading about your adventures. Does anyone have any tips or new projects for show and tell?

I used to think that the only way I could finish my tops that would make me happy was to get a longarm. I'm starting to think that this may not be the best, or only, answer. I love to piece and have decided to get serious about FMQing my growing pile of tops. I've taken various FMQ classes in the past and learned a lot but never really practiced enough to take on a big quilt. I've decided that this will be a goal for the fall. Thought I would practice on some small samples for 2-3 weeks and then take the plunge with a couple of simple tops.

I honestly think one thing that has held me back is the basting process. I decided I'm going to try some basting spray (just don't like to pin) and hopefully have at least one throw size top completed by the end of September. Maybe putting it in writing here will be a motivator!

So, until I can get my George, please tell me about yours!

Laura

My George and I have been working away on several things...no completed work to post yet. How do you learn to be a better quilter? Time on the job! Start in on the simple quilts. I learned that your quilting doesn't improve as much if you're just working on throwaway sandwiches.

As for basting, I know...I hate it too. For me it depends on the quilt...some I pin baste. Some I thread baste. Have you seen a product called Pinmoor? You can use straight pins for pin basting which is much easier on the fingers & very quick release. On very large quilts, I have a friend with a stand up longarm do the basting for me. Haven't spray basted in recent years...too toxic & sticky to do indoors & don't have a reliable spot outdoors to do it.

Will try to get some photos up soon of completed GEORGE quilts. Best, Nancy in Tucson

Guest Linda S

Be careful with the basting spray. It can gum up your needle depending on what you're using. I used to use the temporary basting spray to line my quilts up on my Liberty. I'd use the channel lock to stitch down the batting and then spray the line with basting spray, then smooth out the quilt. It worked pretty well, but if I had quilts with quick turnaround, I had to tell the owner not to wash the quilt for about a week, or they would have had a sticky mess on their hands. Anyway, always read the label!!

• 1 month later...

I pin baste my quilts (on the floor, not my first desire though). I use safety pins and use a regular teaspoon to help close them. That is much easier on the fingers for me. I do have pinmoors but they are pretty bulky for my size quilts that get folded and puddled before they are all done. Most of my quilts are bed sized. I used to quilt them on my regular dsm using the fluff and stuff method.

For some free motion practice you can smooth an area around the needle on your dsm and work a block at a time. An option is to draw or chalk a design and quilt with the lines. REMEMBER, the markings will be gone when you wash it so no one will know if you missed any of the markings with your quilt. Also, take time away from the work before you decide that it should be ripped out. You might not even be able to find it later.

Just relax and breathe while you play. Choose a simple fun one for the first ones you do. No one will fire you for the learning curve!

Archived