bad stitching

what could be causing this I was stitching in regular mode and not going any faster or slower than previously and the stitches started to get longer. Could it be the #8 screw. I also have been having problems with the stitch reguator again. Dawn gave me some directuons and I adjusted the sensor and worked fine for a while but has started acting up again so went to regular stitching and now it is doing this see picture.

Bonnie

The #8 screw is just an adjustment for how fast the machine cycles in single stitch mode. Too fast it skips past the stop and keeps going. Take a look at your stitches and see if there are needle holes in between those long stitches. If so you have skipped stitches and that could be a bent needle, worn needlebar bushings, hook shaft collar out of adjustment or most likely timing. I don't think you can get long stitches in manual mode unless you speed up.

Bonnie,

If you do not see any needle holes, then focus on the encoder wheel adjustment to start, if you can isolate th direction you see the missing stitches that will help. If they are missing from left to right, concentrate on the encoder down on the back of the carriage. If they are missing front to back then look at the sewing head encoder.

The encoder wheel must make good contact with the big wheel; if it doesn't then you will see skipped stitches and the sewing head will hesitate. Try holding the large wheel and then with your other hand, turn the rubber wheel. You should feel resistance and hear a little squeak.

here is a video link to show you how to adjust the wheel.

http://www.apqs.com/instructional-videos/?vid=LlpYU52NGMA

If that doesn't fix the trouble, we next need to look at the cable connecting each encoder to the sewing head. The carriage cable moves a whole bunch when you quilt, much more than the sewing head cable. Try using the regulator and then wiggling the cable at the same time to see if the machine sputters. If it does then the cable may need replacement.

Keep us posted!

Well I was going to email you again this morning but see you have been on top of it already. I have done what you said to check and everything seems to be good. The stitch regulator seems to be working fine at the moment. Last night it worked fine till near the end of the night and then started not responding going horizontally. Humm will have to try agian and look for more clues to why this is happening but thanks for being in touch and will let you know if I figure out anything that might be the culprit besides my own human errors.:D

Bonnie,

If it is missing stitches left to right, and you don't have it happen in manual mode or see needle holes under the missed stitches, it is the lower carriage encoder. If you have adjusted the encoder wheel and it makes good contact with the larger wheel, then focus on the wire traveling from that black box to the right side of the machine. If the encoder itself was the culprit, you would not be able to stitch left and right at all, because in nearly all cases when the encoder itself gives out, it is an "all or nothing" situation.

If you get intermittent reaction from the left to right stitching then we will focus on the wire. (that is if the encoder wheel is still making good contact). The encoder wheels are like car tires in that they are rubber and eventually wear down from from friction until there is no more adjusting room left. The mounting bracket "bottoms out" before you can adjust the wheel far enough. If that happens it is time to replace the wheel. It is possible but not as common for there to be an issue with the jack or circuit board. We can diagnose that on the phone with you if necessary.

Keep me posted!

Archived