Buyers remorse??

Acesgame

I rented time on a millie and fell in love but I felt I would never have the space or money for one. The rep introduced me to the Lenni. I rented time on the Lenni close to home. I was saving my dollars and trying to check out all my options. I thought I might like an Innova machine. And a shop in Houston had them plus a used nolting fun quilter. I went and saw the Innova and it was way too big. The nolting seemed to be just like the Lenni on a 10ft table and it was only $5700. I didn't want to wait any longer so I bought the nolting. It has about 15 inches of work space and since I am short I never thought the extra workspace would be useable for me anyway.

What I have learned is though I wouldn't necessarily work in that space, I would like it for continuity of patterns on some quilts. I also wish I had power advance for moving around the quilts. and being able to raise and lower my table easily would be nice. I would also like to have the leveler bar so that I could use the circle lord upfront, a 12 foot table to have room for those fun tools, and the ability to engage and disengage the stitch regulator and channel locks from the handles would be useful. Now the question is is 8 inches of head space, and the above stuff worth $5000-9000 more??

Use what you have and make the best of it. You can use this machine to start saving again to go after all the things you left behind. Don't beat yourself up over your decision, use it to learn on and built a customer base. Then when you are tried of wanting you will be able to sell the one you have and get what you want. just have fun.

Don't second-guess yourself. If you bought the Nolting out of desperation because it was "there" and you were itching to own a longarm, then maybe you could be remorseful. But it looks like you thought hard about it. If it works for you, does what you need it to do, and you can produce pretty quilting--you didn't go wrong.

Remember that when/if you want to upgrade to a bigger quilting field, you have the luxury of time. You can still quilt while you look around for the perfect deal. Used APQS machines are available--both from the business and from owners.

Most longarms hold their value so in your situation purchasing a bigger machine might entail selling your Nolting first, but you'll find you can sell it for most of what you paid.

Are the features you describe worth the extra money--yep!

Good luck and happy stitching!:)

Looks like Joyce and I think alike!

I had a funquilter and upgraded to the 24 pro. Yes the extra space is nice. But you can still do gorgeous quilting with the space you have. You don't mention if you have a nolting frame. They now have an addon levelor bar for it, if you do. The circle lord cant be used upfront with the nolting but the quiltazoid can without the levelor bar. Also hydraulics can be added to your frame if its a nolting but not fabric advance. I think linda s posted a link to hydraulics under $1000. If you have the desire and $ to spend, why not have all the bells and whistles you want. If I had to do it over from the beginning I would have purchased every bell and whistle I could but some days I wish I had kept my $ and not upgraded!

Guest Linda S

I've had an APQS Liberty (about 11" of quilting space) since 2004. I have never regretted the smaller space. I can't reach farther than that, and I've never had trouble doing my borders or blocks. The table is 14' long, so I just go sideways. I love my machine and really have no desire for anything bigger.

Congratulations on purching a quilting machine, you will love it! I don't think you made a mistake buying a smaller machine to get started with. Like others have said, get to know your machine and enjoy!! When you are ready to upgrade, go for it. You cannot go wrong with an APQS, no matter what model you decide on, new or used. APQS's customer service is the very best you will find. They are always there for us. If you buy a used machine through APQS, you can be assured it has been gone through and is in top notch condition.

I bought my Millie with all the bells and whistles and have never regretted it. Now I want to get her outfitted with the Bliss system and know I will be in love all over again.

Note: I am 4' 10" and don't have a problem operating my Millie. I used to have a problem reaching from the back of the machine to the front, but my husband built me a platform to stand on and now I am good to go.

Practice, practice ,practice on whatever machine you have; Practice with paper and pad or eraser board. You will become a good quilter if you practice. I have friends who do beautiful quilts on smaller machines. Give it a good try and see how it works out. You may love it and someday you may still want to go larger, and just think; you will have so much knowledge you have already learned. Hang in there!!

Your desire to quilt on your long arm is all that really matters for right now. Learn what you can and just enjoy the journey until you can upgrade to all the bells and whistles you are desiring. When the time is right, we would love to welcome you to the APQS family, until then welcome to the long arm family. We are glad to have you here.

I know how you feel. I did the same thing, then I talk to Noting at the Houston Show and was willin to pay me 1/2 of what I paid for the hobby quilter out right. In stead, I ended up going home with a 9' table w/hydralics (due to room size) there is so much you can do with the Fun Quilter, I have the Nolting Frame, do you? Contact Nolting directly with all your questions, they are very good at resposnding.

Like you, I am waiting and saving for the day I will have enough room for a 14' Bliss Millie. Until then I sew on my Fun Quilter and pretend it is a MILLIE.

Originally posted by JunBugs-Quilt-Garden

I know how you feel. I did the same thing, then I talk to Noting at the Houston Show and was willin to pay me 1/2 of what I paid for the hobby quilter out right. In stead, I ended up going home with a 9' table w/hydralics (due to room size) there is so much you can do with the Fun Quilter, I have the Nolting Frame, do you? Contact Nolting directly with all your questions, they are very good at resposnding.

Like you, I am waiting and saving for the day I will have enough room for a 14' Bliss Millie. Until then I sew on my Fun Quilter and pretend it is a MILLIE.

Yes I have the nolting frame. I like that it seems more compact but that is probably because I have a smaller machine. I do wish I had power advance and reverse but I deal. All the bells and whistles don't make me a better quilter. I have been practicing on quilts for a lady who said anything is better than tops that are not quilted. They are good enough for me and I like a couple of them alot but I still need lots of ppp.

Archived