problem: quilt larger than boarders.

Janice

A lady has given me a quilt to do. The interior of the quilt is larger than the borders. She doesn't want it heavily quilted. She has cut the borders lengthwise on the fabric (no stretch). Is there an easy way to quilt this without a lot of stress? She wants custom. There are at least three inches of extra in the quilt-across the width. The bottom two rows of baskets aren't bad but the rest is very full. Thanks, Jan

2230304710106139795S425x425Q85.jpg

2658082450106139795S425x425Q85.jpg

Since you haven't put it on the frame yet I would show her the problem and ask her to lengthen the borders. Usually the problem is reversed and the borders are too big in which case you can starch and steam and take a tuck if you need to but this beautiful quilt deserves borders that are the right size.

Wanda,

Bonnie's Starch and STeam method for shrinking borders is described:

Bonnies Starch & Steam Tip

Hi Bonnie,

I want to let you know that for the first time yesterday while working on a friends "I Spy" quilt I had occasion to use your "Starch & Spray" tip.

I had the quilt loaded, side basted and rolling correctly, but as I approached the last 1/3 of the quilt I noticed the borders were starting to wave at me.

I thought here is my chance to use Bonnie's Tip! I sprayed the living daylight out of the the border with spray starch! BTW: Did you know that Niagra starch has a new pump bottle of starch that is really neat! Target has it.

Then I bought my Bernina iron in by the frame. This iron has so much steam it could fly when you hit the "steam button". I steamed down very close---but, did not touch the border fabric. I let the border dry for several hours, and when I came back to check on it...it had flattened down perfectly!!!

I side basted the border, and completed the quilt! Thank YOU! Thank You! for sharing this terrific idea with all of us.

ANd is found here: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=8641#pid74741

hope this helps! It sure has helped many here on the board!!

Archived