Magna Glide bobbins & SoFine on top???

Have any of you tried this? Problems? Pros/Cons?

I'm just curious. I now love the MagnaGlide bobbins, but I want to use a thinner thread on top.

Do you think it would be better to just use SoFine in the bobbins, too?

I am about to start a queen Tee-Shirt quilt. It has to be custom because it is already embellished (heavily), plus there are lots of photographs on it and my customer does not want stitching across the faces.

The entire quilt is stabilized, except for the 1" sashing strips.

I plan to SID around the blocks and then each one needs to be addressed individually. Some of the blocks are "just" tee shirts, but many are collages on a tee shirt background with embroidery, photos, buttons, and there is a Girl Scout sash with the badges, a ribbon with a medal, ribbons from good grades in elementary school, etc. You get the idea of why this needs to be quilted from the front.

There are no borders on the quilt.

The top weighs a TON!

Any suggestions about the thread? I will be using Quilters Dream, Dream Green batting.

Thanks

If you are talking about using the Magna Glide classics with the thin bobbin thread, it works great with SoFine. I have never used the Delights wound regular Glide thread. Can't say if that would be a problem or not. I thought the general rule was to use a bobbin thread that was either the same weight or thinner than the top thread.

Thanks for the response, Zora. I was referring to the Magna Glide Delights bobbins. I also heard that the bobbin thread should be thinner or the same as the top thread, but was wondering if that was still the answer. You know how things often change...eggs are bad...eggs are good, etc. :) And, if anyone tried this combination and what the outcome was.

I just finished 2 quilts using the Magna Glide Delights bobbins with So-Fine, Bottom Line, King Tut, Monoflment and Glide threads and never had a problem. Adjusted a tiny bit of tension when I used the King Tut and the Mono.

One quilt was all King Tut and the other was McKenna Ryan's Beach Walk wallhanging and that was where I used all kids of threads on the applique and thread painting. I love those bobbins!!!

Wow, Suzie, that's great! I love the thread, too, but I also love SoFine. I especially love the magnetic bobbins in Glide thread. So many choices and combinations. ;)

I think I'll give this combination a try on a practice piece before using it on my customer's quilt. I hope I have as much luck as you and Heidi did.

Guest Linda S

I use Magna Glide bobbins ALL THE TIME! It doesn't matter what the top thread is, although mine is generally Glide -- if the client would rather have a Sew Fine color or King Tut or Omni or Cairo Quilt -- it just doesn't matter. Magna Glide bobbins work with everything. I haven't used a self-wound bobbin since the first time I used a magna glide, and I only use magna glide bobbins.

Archived