Does anyone have the accuquilt studio or go?

Acesgame

I have heard mixed reviews on the accuquilt go. My biggest concern is that the cutting is not always accurate and the mats get destroyed quickly. The studio version uses a piece of plexiglass like material for the cutting mat. Does it cut more precisely? I like the idea of using one of these to cut up my scraps but cannot find anyone in the DFW area that rents time so that I can decide if it would be worthwhile to invest in.

I have both and use them both. The Studio, of course, is much bigger and heavier. You can cut up to 10 layers of fabric versus 4-6 layers with the Go!

I find that as long as you are careful and pay attention to how you are placing your fabric on the dies and how it is being fed through the machine, both systems are accurate. The cross-wise grain of fabric is stretchier than the lengthwise grain so you need to be aware of how it is being fed. I have no problems with precise cuts on either machine and I use them for cutting 99% of my fabric and I also teach classes using the Go! at a LQS. If you think you are going to want to take the system to classes, get the Go! If you will never take the machine out and you have the space, get the Studio. The dies for the Studio are quite a bit more expensive and some of them are very heavy but the Studio cuts through 10 layers of fabric like it is butter! With the new adapters, you can use the Go! dies in the Studio but you can still only cut the 4-6 layers of fabric and you do need to use the Studio mats.

As to the mats, yes the Go! mats do wear out faster than the Studio mats but they are the least expensive part of the system and are meant to be replaced occasionally (I try to purchase my new mats with coupons or when they are on sale at JoAnns). You can get lots of use out of the mats and I have one that is in terrible shape that I still take to classes and show that it can be used. I have had my Go! since just about the time they were first introduced and I have only replaced some of my mats - the ones that get the most use.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you. I say, go for it!

I have a Go and really haven't used it very much. I found it almost impossible to turn the handle without the machine lifting off the table. It wouldn't cut more than two layers of fabric and it scrunched the fabric up and made pleats in it. It also caused pain in my arm and shoulder. I contacted the company and was told to send it back to them for repair. Despite the fact that it was still under warranty I had to pay the shipping out to them. As the machine is heavy that was quite expensive. I haven't tried it since I got it back. I have been making a scrap quilt and it is just quicker to use a ruler and rotary cutter.

At a guild meeting a member demonstrated her Sizzix Big Shot Pro machine which is bigger than my Go but it certainly worked a lot better!

I have the Studio cutter - I had the Go as well but sold it when they brought out the adapter tray so that I can cut Go dies on the Studio cutter. Its a lovely piece of machinery - the professional gearing is very different to the Go and that makes it much easier to use imho - even though you are cutting through more layers.

Added bonus is that you can get custom dies made for the Studio, which you can't do for the Go. Go dies tend to be multiple sizes of the same shape (ie - 3 circles on one die, all different sizes) whereas the Studios are usually for one. I find that much more useful for the kind of things I cut for.

I also have the adapter tray for Sizzix Bigz dies and can cut Bigz dies with the Studio. Very versatile machine - if you have the space! It needs to stay set up as its too heavy to keep on moving it.

If you decide to get one - its well worth checking out both the accuquilt and accucut websites as the GrandMark cutter from accucut is the exact same machine - just with different decals! Both sites do very good deals on the cutter at different times. Regular price is $595 but I have seen it as low as $395

Best of luck :)

I have the Studio cutter and use it for strips & for applique shapes (which I fuse & buttonhole stitch). I keep it on a rolling bar cart so that I can move it around the studio...that sucker weighs a ton! I am very happy with how it cuts fabric and find it easy to operate. If you check the Accuquilt website often, you can find dies on sale and build up an inventory of the shapes you're most likely to use. I have also had them make 3 custom dies for me and have been very pleased with the service and the product. Ani is right...the Studio cutter goes on sale fairly regularly for as low as $395.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Go & cut several 6-1/2" squares. None of the squares are 6-1/2"square. They are all 6-1/2 x 6-1/4". I was careful & cut 6 layers at a time - 3 different cuts. And they are all off. Not sure what's going on with that. My 1st guess is inexperience, but I sure as heck am consistent with my inexperience if it's me & not the Go :)

I have the Go, and love it. I only use it for straight line dyes, like strips, squares, tumbling glasses, etc. I always get accurate cuts.

I mostly use them to turn scraps into blocks or strips.

I love it and use it frequently.

Himself has to turn it as I have too many joints with arthritis, or bone deterioration.

I don't cut more than 5 layers, seldom 6. We both

decided it would last longer if we didn't max it out, or go over the max.

Our mats are lasting a long time, as we can and do adjust them slightly so they don't consistantly cut in the same

groove all the time.

Joanns are good in rice. We wemt up when we recently got a 50% off coupons, and they wouldn't use it for the shapes, they were exceptions. Really read the small, or I should say tiny print.

:);)

Archived