Suggestions for applique scissors

Does anyone have a suggestion for good applique scissors? I'm going to do a large quilt with batique applique and don't want to cut the detailed applique with my regular sewing scissors.

I've seen some with a micro-serrated blade but haven't used those before. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Pat, if you're just talking about snipping threads, I use a pair of small curved scissors, for both quilting and embroidery. The curved blade lets me get close to the top without cutting anything I don't intend to cut.

I'm sure others will have their preferences as well. Good luck finding what works for you.

http://www.kaiscissors.com/ If you have never tried these scissors you are missing a treat. They are the best scissors I have ever used. The stay sharp and they clip from tip to handle. You can have them sharpened if you happen to chip them on a needle. I have the small ones that are curved for snipping and the larger ones for cutting. I buy them as gifts and every time I get rave reviews. Great price too!

Hmmmm, I want to try one of each but that's probably not practical.

Sharon - thanks for the advice on the curved scissors. I've been contemplating those also and should give them a try for snipping threads. It's good to know they work well.

Lisa & Joyce - I do love Gingher and those were my first thought because I've had good luck with them in the past. The quilt I'll be making is actually the one Shannon (aka Doodlebug) just got done quilting. But don't expect pictures for a long time!!!

Sylvia & Lynn M - I've never heard of Kai but went to their site and they are very reasonably priced. Cutting right to the tip is a must for this project (actually any project!).

Linda & Lyn - I hadn't heard of Karen Kay Buckley either. Gosh, I'm really living in a shell, aren't I? Good to know the serrated edges hold the fabric as I was hoping.

Decisions, decisions!!! Thanks everyone!! I may have to order a larger pair along with the smaller applique pair. :-)

I'm with Linda and Lyn, I love love love my Karen Kay Buckley scissors! I have them in both sizes but use the larger ones the most. You can stack a few layers of fabric together and cut through without the fabrics shifting, so those projects that need a million of one piece, the scissors make it easy. And they cut through paper and fabric without worrying you will mess up the sharpness of the blade as they are serrated.

Lynn has the same ones I have!!!:D You will not put these scissors up and save them. You will use, use, use these scissors. The handles are made of a rubbery substance that makes them easy to hold and easy on your hands. Also, you can cut papper with them and turn around and cut fabric and you won't know the difference!!!!

I primarily use ginghers, but with such high recommendations and my scissor fetish I will have to look into these others. I need a good pair for applique too. There is nothing worse than snipping a whole in the backing fabric. Believe me, I have done it. Thanks to all for sharing.

I just ordered the Karen Kay Buckleys thru Keepsake Quilting since they have free shipping till midnight tonight. Good time to stock up on a few things!

I also noticed the Kai cutting tools are 25% off thru September at Northern Threads. Will probably have to give those a try also!!

Lisa E - you're silly but I can completely relate! I really only have one nice pair of scissors - Gingher's I asked my hubby for at Christmas many years ago. I think it's time I invest in something new and improved.

BTW - I want to see the project you're working on!!

• 8 years later...

Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation on a small,, lightweight pair of folding scissors to do duty on my keychain when I can't bring either my SAK Classic or my LM Micra in no-blade situations.

Anyone have any experience with the Dritz, Fiskars or Slin n Snip Original?

I tried the generic pair from Walmart and found it inadequate. Too heavy and blades wouldn't come together at the tips.

Anything under $15-20 would be fine, looking for the best option.

Thanks

the best lost of hairdressing scissors