How much should I charge?

my friend had me quilt her 92x102 quilt. some custom and some all-over quilting. I have 14 hours of quilting total.

We didn't talk price, but she is a quilter and knows what it is all about!

I just have no clue how much to charge her. I have never quilted like this, and she usually comes over and quilts her own quilts on my machine.

She asked me to do it so it would " Look good".null

post--13492895112136_thumb.jpg

IMHO--

If she was an off-the-street customer--4 to 4.5 cents per inch.

"Friend" who knows what it's all about but who normally quilts her own stuff--3 to 3.5 cents per inch.

I can't see how dense the stitching is or if there are thread color changes, but I do see a lot of pretty stuff, outlining, design changes and block quilting.

Using an "industry standard" target of $25 per hour, 14 hours should earn you $350. Doing the math of 92"x 102"=9384 (times) .035 per inch will factor to $328.44. I say go with that one!

Great quilting, BTW!!

thread changes between the dark and light purple, quilting is fairly dense, but could not get great pictures of it. thanks so much. My Husband just looking at it was like " that should be at least $300... I thought he was out of his mind, but I guess he wasn't too far off.

If this is how you make your bread and butter and you are good friends, then your friend knows what you charge or need to make to make it worth your time. Do you charge her by the hour when she does her own quilts on your machine? Machine rental is $20-$25 per hour. If you look at it that way, you should charge a little more, after all you could have been doing something else while she was quilting and made the same money.

Archived